Remote access to Vista x64 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am evaluating WHS with PP1 - just got DVDs from Microsoft. I installed it in the Virtual PC box on my Vista x64 Home Premium PC. I do not want to test backup, just remote connectivity. I can access the shared folders from the web using another PC. However, my x64 box is listed as having "Not supported operating system". Indeed, I could not find an inbound "Remote Desktop" option in the System Properties; activating "Remote Assistance" did not help. "Remote Destop Connection" seems to support only outbound connections.

Am I missing some software to allow remote access to Vista x64 via a WHS?

Thanks
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 4:41 PM

Answers

• K_G said:

Hi,

I am evaluating WHS with PP1 - just got DVDs from Microsoft. I installed it in the Virtual PC box on my Vista x64 Home Premium PC. I do not want to test backup, just remote connectivity. I can access the shared folders from the web using another PC. However, my x64 box is listed as having "Not supported operating system". Indeed, I could not find an inbound "Remote Desktop" option in the System Properties; activating "Remote Assistance" did not help. "Remote Destop Connection" seems to support only outbound connections.

Am I missing some software to allow remote access to Vista x64 via a WHS?

Thanks

It has nothing to do with x64.  As you found out, VHP does not have inbound RDC.  The only OSes that you can use with RDC are: Vista Business, Vista Ultimate, XP Professional, and XP MCE 2005.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, December 7, 2008 4:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by K_G Sunday, December 7, 2008 6:06 PM
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 4:47 PM