Explorer Launch Fail for Validation RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings:

I have replaced my motherboard and CPU.  I have the same hard drive as when everything operate smoothly.  After running a repair install and successfully activating Windows, it is not able to validate Windows.  I can operate the computer normally except that Internet Explorer fails to launch; thus, it cannot validate Windows.  Every time I attempt to launch Explorer, I receive generic the "IE has encountered a problem....sorry for the inconveniece" message.  This message is not timed--it pops up immediately after attempting to launch Also, the task manager is blank, even though it should be populated.  Summarily, even though programs such as AIM, which requires constant internet connection, were running normally, Internet Explorer would not launch, and therefore Windows could not be validated.  Internet Explorer was NOT on the list of currently installed program.  It had a spot on the Start menu, but not in the Add/Remove Programs list.  I believe this is a symptom pf the problem.   

I tried installing IE from a disc, which did not work. 

I searched for answers and found Article 917964.  I also found another article that I cannot currently locate. 

I followed the instructions.  Unfortunately, I did not realize until Step 4 that I would be repeating the repair install, which is generally an unpleasant experience.  In any event, this did not work and I am back to the original problem. 

My goal is to have my computer operating the same as it did before motherboard and CPU replacement without having to perform a clean install on a formatted drive.

Windows XP Home

Service Pack (because of the reinstall, I do not know, although I assume SP2)

Thank you. 

Thursday, June 14, 2007 1:51 AM

Answers

• Masterscotto,

Can you explain why you replaced the motherboard and CPU?

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Thursday, June 14, 2007 2:08 AM
  • I have resolved this issue by running the the motherboard utility and reinstalling Windows, getting back to Internet Explorer 6, then installing Internet Explorer 7.  This has brought up a separate problem, but one not appropo to these forums.  Thank you.
    Sunday, June 17, 2007 4:46 PM

All replies

• Masterscotto,

Can you explain why you replaced the motherboard and CPU?

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of  Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Thursday, June 14, 2007 2:08 AM
  • I have resolved this issue by running the the motherboard utility and reinstalling Windows, getting back to Internet Explorer 6, then installing Internet Explorer 7.  This has brought up a separate problem, but one not appropo to these forums.  Thank you.
    Sunday, June 17, 2007 4:46 PM