Remote Desktop responds very slowly or not at all RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have the following problem with the Live Mesh Remote Desktop - when I try to connect, the connection is established, but the connection to the remote desktop is extremely slow despite having a fast internet connection, e.g the logon screen appears in blocks very slowly, taking about one minute.

After connecting, the dekstop appears, but it is extremely slow, another example is that the notification that the color scheme changed to Aero Basic appears after 2-3 minutes.

Sometimes if I input a command on the remote computer (e.g. open the start menu) I have to wait minutes until it happens. Sometimes it work OK at the beginning, but after a few minutes of usage it slows down and stops responding. Sometimes after passing the logon screen I cannot do anything.

Does anyone experience the same issue, and is there a workaround for this? I'm using Windows 7 RC.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 2:59 PM

Answers

• Is the remote PC located on the same network or is it elsewhere and you are accessing it across the Internet? It sounds like the connection to that PC is being throttled down somewhere along the way. If the PC is on the Internet and not on the same local LAN, the connection between you and it can be slowed down by all kinds of things. You might have a fast local connection, for example, but the path to the other PC may be going through a slow connection or could be traversing a point with lots of congestion.
    If the PCs are both local, I'd first try rebooting the router. Then I'd look at any firewall software that you might be running on either or both PCs that might be causing a slowdown, temporarily disabling the firewall(s) to see if the problem goes away. There should be no issue with the Windows firewall, but a 3rd party firewall could be a factor.
    If none of the above helps, then I suggest capturing logs from both machines and submitting a bug report. Instructions here:

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    • Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Tuesday, June 9, 2009 4:25 AM
    Monday, June 8, 2009 3:07 PM

All replies

• Is the remote PC located on the same network or is it elsewhere and you are accessing it across the Internet? It sounds like the connection to that PC is being throttled down somewhere along the way. If the PC is on the Internet and not on the same local LAN, the connection between you and it can be slowed down by all kinds of things. You might have a fast local connection, for example, but the path to the other PC may be going through a slow connection or could be traversing a point with lots of congestion.
    If the PCs are both local, I'd first try rebooting the router. Then I'd look at any firewall software that you might be running on either or both PCs that might be causing a slowdown, temporarily disabling the firewall(s) to see if the problem goes away. There should be no issue with the Windows firewall, but a 3rd party firewall could be a factor.
    If none of the above helps, then I suggest capturing logs from both machines and submitting a bug report. Instructions here:

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

-steve

• Marked as answer by kensm [msft] Tuesday, June 9, 2009 4:25 AM
    Monday, June 8, 2009 3:07 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried it now and seems like it's a network related problem really, because when connecting through my local wireless network at home, the problem goes away and the remote desktop work perfectly.

Now what I don't understand is why am I having the issues when away, I have tried it at multiple places, multiple PCs and the results are the same. The remote PC us usually uploading files at 80% of its bandwidth with multiple connections open, maybe this causes the problem - will try and report back.

Csaba
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 2:07 PM
  • You're welcome. It may actually be your router that is the bottleneck when connecting from outside the network. The connection is traversing your router to the destination PC, so that appears to be a common factor if you are trying from multiple PCs and multiple networks/locations on the outside.
    -steve

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 6:23 PM
  • I'm using Windows Vista ,Is very very fast
    www.hooyes.com
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:08 AM