Live Meeting 2007 RoundTable (or Any Other Webcam) Video Disconnects In 10 Minutes! RRS feed

• Question

• We're using Live Meeting 2007 with a conference center hosted by Microsoft.  We just purchased the RoundTable (very exciting device), but I can't keep the video going for more than 10 or 20 minutes at a time.  (I should mention this happens with any dinky webcam so it's not the RoundTable requiring lots of bandwidth.)  It's in ten minute increments exactly. Obviously things are working on my network okay othrewise I wouldn't be able to conduct video at all.  When I did a network capture I find the conference center server decides to reset the SIP port (5061) and it cuts off my video.  I've been in Live Meeting Support hell for two and a half weeks now, my incident has escalated to a Tier II.  Once that happened I stopped hearing from them at all. (Not very reassuring.)  I've called and used the support thread for my incident and even got my Live Meeting Sales person involved.  I'm beginning to think this new version isn't ready for prime time, or they've got problems with their own OCS servers!  Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thursday, February 7, 2008 6:51 PM

Answers

• This is usually caused by a firewall disconnecting what it considers an inactive session.  Check all your settings for any timeout values that apply to SIP traffic and increase them.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 8:47 PM
  • I increased the firewall timeout on TCP port 443, TCP port 5061, and UDP port 3478.  It now appears I can sustain Live Meeting video for the new timeout period.  I will adjust those timeouts to coincide with our average meeting length.  Thanks so much for your help!

Friday, February 8, 2008 3:57 PM

All replies

• This is usually caused by a firewall disconnecting what it considers an inactive session.  Check all your settings for any timeout values that apply to SIP traffic and increase them.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 8:47 PM
  • I increased the firewall timeout on TCP port 443, TCP port 5061, and UDP port 3478.  It now appears I can sustain Live Meeting video for the new timeout period.  I will adjust those timeouts to coincide with our average meeting length.  Thanks so much for your help!

Friday, February 8, 2008 3:57 PM
  • I am experiencing a similar problem using a Logitech camera. Video disconnects after 90 seconds, though the meeting room stays active. We can manually restart the video - it then runs for another 90 seconds before disconnecting. We have checked our firewall settings and all the timeouts appear to be OK. There is a ISA2004 server acting as a proxy between 2 sets of firewalls - we have checked timeout settings on the ISa box for the webproxy etc and everything looks OK.

Would you let me know what type of firewalls you use, and what config parameters you used for the port settings above? Thanks!

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 10:31 AM
  • Where I resolved the issue was in our hardware firewall - an Adtran Netvanta 3205 Router.  You have to be in verbose mode to see the actual timeout settings for UDP and TCP on this router.  In regular mode they don't show up.  I had to specifically create setting for TCP on port 5061 and UDP on port 3478.  There were settings already for TCP and UDP on the usual ports and they were set for 10 minutes (in seconds).  I increased everything to 30 minutes.  The apparent overlap in the two protocols after that time period seemed to be enough to sustain video indefinately.  TCP is connection-oriented meaning it must make a connection before actually transmitting data.  UDP uses a connectionless host-to-host communication.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 12:19 PM
  • Does audio remain connected when this happens?  If there are network latency or saturation issues video is scaled back and even disabled entirely to sustain audio quality.

Monday, March 31, 2008 2:09 AM
  • Audio also disconnects. There are no network latency or saturation issues on this network link. When the ISA Proxy server is bypassed the video does not disconnect. Traffic still routes through the same firewall infrastructure after the ISA server, so we are fairly convinced the problem lies there. Same problem is experienced on both ISA 2004 and 2006. The ISA server has been configured to allow all protocols and ports required by Live Meeting have also been specified on the ISA access rule. Problem still occurs - disconnect after 90 seconds.

Monday, March 31, 2008 7:24 AM