none
DOS program opens more than once RRS feed

• General discussion

• I recently upgraded a customer Novell server to a Windows 2016 server. They have a DOS inventory program that they rely on. The problem I am running into is that this inventory program could open more than once, and that causes problems with the end users. Is there a way I can stop this DOS program from opening more than once on the local machine? I went on to other forums that suggest I right click onto the icon and choose the Application tab. There is no Application tab. I heard that you can write a VB script that will stop this. Does anyone out there have a VB Script written already to do this, or any easier solutions? Any help would be greatful! Thanks.
    • Changed type Bill_Stewart Wednesday, May 9, 2018 2:48 PM
    • Moved by Bill_Stewart Wednesday, May 9, 2018 2:49 PM Unanswerable drive-by question
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 8:30 PM

All replies

• This is not a consulting or repair form.  You will need to post in the correct forum for your issue.  Contact the vendor of the program or hire a certified consultant to help you do this upgrade.  You can also open an incident with MS Support.

Program configuration is not a scripting issue. Programs that do not run correctly must be fixed and not scripted around.

No.  There is no script that will fix your issue.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, March 22, 2018 9:06 PM
  • 64-bit operating systems do not support DOS.

The only way to run a DOS program on a 64-bit OS is using a DOS emulator such as dosbox.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Thursday, March 22, 2018 9:53 PM
  • Bill, thanks for the response. All the local machines running Windows 10 is 32bit.
    Friday, March 23, 2018 12:59 PM
  • I think what Bill means is that DOS programs are 16 bit and Windows 10 does not support 16 bit DOS programs.

Your issue is not a scripting issue.  You are trying to port old Novell programs to Windows.  Ask in a Novell forum for how to upgrade these old programs to Windows 10 if it is possible. 

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, March 23, 2018 1:06 PM
  • Correct; MS-DOS is a 16-bit operating system. Are you really running MS-DOS programs?

If not, then you need to understand the underlying technology you're supporting.

In any case, jrv is correct; this is not a support forum for whatever programs you're running. This is a Windows scripting Q&A forum.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Friday, March 23, 2018 2:05 PM