OCS AD Attributes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello people,

I have run into a unique problem that I have tried searching for a solution with no success. I am hoping you will be able to shed some light my way.

Here is the scenario.

1. Installed LCS 2005 on a domain controller. Everything worked perfectly. The AD on this server had OCS attributes.
    2. Installed OCS 2007 on a member server and migrated users to it successfully.
    3. The LCS 2005 machine crashes and we cannot recover it.

Now our problem is that the other AD controllers do not have the OCS attributes associated with the users i.e. if I right click on a user in the AD I do not get any OCS options in the drop down menu. Therefore we cannot add new users to the OCS. The existing users are using the OCS without a problem.

I hope you get the picture.

Please let me know what I can do, thanks in advance.

Baba
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I have run admintools.msi located in the setup\i386\setup folder and now have the contextual menus in the ADUC console.

Thank you very much!

Baba.
    • Marked as answer by Baba Ryan Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:46 PM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:46 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you might have AD replication issues, if the new OCS-related attributes created by the Schema prepration steps have only applied to a single domain controller.  How long ago did you perform the OCS AD prep steps?
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:33 PM
  • Hi

Are you just talking about administrative tools on DC server (32 bits I presume) ? if so just install from OCS CD, \Support\i386 folder the OCSCore.msi and AdminTools.msi and you will get the contextual menus from ADUC console.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:03 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

The LCS was installed about 2 years ago. We migrated to OCS last year. The LCS server crashed about a month ago.
    I tried to run the OCS2007 setup to do a schema prep but when the setup program launches it shows that this task has already been completed successfully.

When we make any administrative AD changes to one of the domain controllers these changes are replicated to all the other controllers without any problem.

Thanks for the help,

Baba.
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:18 PM
  • Hi,

All I have in the support folder is dbimpexp.exe and dbimpexp-readme.htm

Thanks,

Baba
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:40 PM
  • Hi,

I have run admintools.msi located in the setup\i386\setup folder and now have the contextual menus in the ADUC console.

Thank you very much!

Baba.
    • Marked as answer by Baba Ryan Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:46 PM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:46 PM
  • Ah, from your descirption I though your were talking about the actual AD attributes themselves were missing.  You just weren't seeing the Communications tab on user objects in Active Directory Users and Computers.  As you have found, the 32-bit installation for the Management Tools is not in the wizard, as covered in this article: http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/schertz_jeff/Pages/Post.aspx?_ID=54
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:55 PM