Accessing WHS without an Internet Connection. RRS feed

• Question

• I have moved to a remote area without affordable service, and now can no longer access my 8 terabytes on my WHS.  Is an active connection absolutely required(and if so, WHY?)?

Hope this isn't too stupid or redundant a query, I just couldn't find this question on the forums.

Friday, June 29, 2012 3:06 PM

All replies

• Not as far as I am aware. You will get warnings that no Internet connection but you should still be ab;e to access your server on your local network via the Console or shared folders.

What are the symptoms when trying to access your shared folders?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, June 29, 2012 9:02 PM
  • Hi,
    assuming the server has moved with you, we need definitivaly more details.

What kind of error message do you get?

I would see two potential reasons: No proper network configuration in your new home (i.e. server got a fixed IP address before, the client has DHCP enabled and gets now an APIPA address) or an hardware issue, server having damaged disk or disconnected internal cables after transport.

Is the network connected via switch? Which IP addresses do the machines get?

At least you should be able to ping the server by it's name from the client for a first test.

Can you logon locally or (if it is a system without video card) via Remote Desktop? If so, are there any errors in the event log?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, July 2, 2012 1:19 PM