Evaluation period expired prematurely- incorrect date in system RRS feed

• Question

• I installed the 120 day eval period copy of Windows Home Server, entered my registered key on a brand new system build, which I forgot to fix the time and date in the bios.    After this, I was having issues with website certificates, windows activation, and domain setup.  After doing some reading last night, I found out that an incorrect date in the system could cause my exact issues.  After correcting the date, my symptoms went away and I proceeded to get things set up without problems.  Today, I log on to view the status of my system backup and got a notice that my eval period expired.   I installed this copy two days ago.   My question is can I still use the same evaluation key or am I just SOL for giving this product a try?

(sorry for posting this in the wrong forum.  I don't see an option to post in the WHS forum.)
    • Moved by JeniferA Friday, April 24, 2009 3:30 PM Home Server question (From:Genuine Benefits)
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:49 PM

Answers

• Posting in the Windows Home Server forums: Theres a button Ask a question at the top of every page, assuming you're logged in. :)

You will have to reinstall, because changing the system date has triggered the time bomb built into the evaluation software. You probably haven't done much with the server, so you could choose to do a "new installation" but I would recommend you try a server reinstallation (see this FAQ post) as practice for when/if you decide to buy the product.

You can then try to activate with the product key you already have. It may work, since no hardware will have changed. If you can't activate you should have the option of calling Microsoft for activation. If you do so and explain the situation nicely, they will usually activate for you even though in theory you only have the one activation you've already used.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 24, 2009 4:19 PM