none
Non-OP, non-mod can "Unmark As Answer"? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I was shocked I could do this...

I can (apparently) just walk into any (completed) question thread and unmark the answer?  I'm (afaik) not a moderator :)

I found this capability in this thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlintegrationservices/thread/86fe47cd-c96b-4c7c-adc0-15d14cfb57e8

Based upon the OP's comments, I decided to unmark Phil Brammer's response as the "answer" (even though it's very helpful), and before my brain caught up with my fingers, it was done.

IMO there should be NO WAY I should be allowed to do that.  Only the OP or a moderator ought to be able to do that.  At the very "most" I could see a new feature added for marking an answer as "questionable" - or some other means of alerting a moderator to review that thread to remove the "answer".  But even then, if the OP thinks it's the answer, they're the authority.

I also don't like that I can mark my own posts as proposed answers - but that's another thread... :)
    Todd McDermid's Blog
    Monday, January 5, 2009 5:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Todd,

Actually, the SQL team has updated roles across their forums on a per forum basis, based on participation. You're now listed as an Answer Marker for this forum, which means you have the ability to mark a post as the definitive answer (or unmark it), but not do other moderator activities like moving or deleting threads.

It sounds like what you're seeing is expected behavior, we just don't have a good way to let you know it yet. We may need to add an alert when you recieve new permission on the site.

-Andrew
    Forums Product Planner, Andrew.Brenner at Microsoft.com
    Monday, January 5, 2009 5:45 PM
  • Thanks, Andrew.

Tread lightly, I suppose... :)
    Todd McDermid's Blog
    Monday, January 5, 2009 5:54 PM