can't get to backups, I just need my data back RRS feed

• Question

•  

At this point, I just want to get my data off the server and get rid of it.

I did a reinstall because I had the stupid timebomb go off and I can't access my data. Now, I have 30 days to activate. (i tried activating after a reinstall, and got the timebomb again).

I launch the WHS and get an error about HomeServerConsoleTab.Storage.dll.

After the error, I see the console, but when I try to view backups, I get nothing. It just hangs there.

Is there ANY way I can just get my data off this thing so I can blow it away?

Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:41 AM

All replies

• If you have used Windows Home Server since (apparently, based on your posts) December, I'm not sure why you would want to continue using a time limited, i.e. evaluation, version of the software. But that's your decision.

You can't get to your backups without using Windows Home Server. They are stored in a proprietary database format which has not been published. You can get the files in your shares by removing each drive from your server, mounting it on another computer, and copying files from <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc. (DE is a hidden folder). Do this for every partition except the boot partition on the system drive.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:19 AM
  • I think december seems accurate.  I was out of town when the timebomb went off. I don't honestly want to use WHS anymore. I find it to be too troublesome.

At this point, the drive cleanup doesnt work, so I have no space. I finally got it to start mounting a backup, and it says theres no room to mount it.

I've run the cleanup tool countless times, and I guess it just fails quietly since I don't get a resposne.

It seems that every step closer I get to my data, something goes wrong.

In a sentence, I just want my data back so I can get rid of this thing
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 8:12 AM