WHS console application and WHS backup service don't speak together anymore... :-( RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

after more than one year of correct working of the (wanderful) backup feature of my WHS server, now I'm facing a singular problem: the backup server process is running correctly (a manual backup from a client PC is done correctly), but the WHS console thinks that it is not there and so I'm not able to see the backup state and make a configuration. I'm sure that the backups DB it's ok: the "backup repair" function of the console works...
    The server OS is updated and I haven't installed new add-ins in the console recently.
    Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 1:00 PM

All replies

• Hello,

after more than one year of correct working of the (wanderful) backup feature of my WHS server, now I'm facing a singular problem: the backup server process is running correctly (a manual backup from a client PC is done correctly), but the WHS console thinks that it is not there and so I'm not able to see the backup state and make a configuration. I'm sure that the backups DB it's ok: the "backup repair" function of the console works...
    The server OS is updated and I haven't installed new add-ins in the console recently.
    Any ideas?

Thanks!
    To clarify:  your clients backup successfully, but when you open the Console afterwards, the backups are not shown?  If that's correct, did you try resetting the Console?  Also, did you just install Power Pack 3?  What are the component numbers in your Console (Settings button, Resources tab)?
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:01 PM
  • Yes, a backup started from the client PC connector ("Backup Now...") runs ok, but in the console all my Pc have an "Unknown" as backup status.
    Morover the setting-backup window says "Backup settings are not available", but if I run a backup database repair the procedure states that all my PC backups are ok!
    It must be a communication problem between the console and the backup service: is there something that I can check about? I have also tryed to re-install .NRT Framework 2.0 SP2...
    Yesterday I have upgraded to PP3, but the problem is still there. Now the version for all the components is 6.0.2423.0.
    I cant believe that the only answer is "reinstall the server"!!!

Thanks for your Help!

Thursday, November 26, 2009 8:58 PM
  • For me it seems, as if a service is not running.
    Logon to the desktop on your home server and open Services in Control Panel/Administrative Tools.
    Check, if any of the Windows Home Server services are not started (especially if they are set to start automatic).
    Also take a look into the event log of your server, here you should see more detailed error messages, which you can share with us.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:12 PM
  • Olaf,

all the services that should be running are ok (almost all the services that starts at the boot).

Speaking about log files, the only "strange" error message that I see (on the Application log) is this:

EventType clr20r3, P1 homeserverconsole.exe, P2 6.0.0.0, P3 4acceb5f, P4 whscommon, P5 6.0.0.0, P6 4accead8, P7 334, P8 1b, P9 system.overflowexception, P10 NIL.

Ironically in the HomeServer log there are all the messages about the manual backups, completed successfully.

Is there some other WHS specific log file that I should check?

Thanks!

Friday, November 27, 2009 7:34 PM
  • EventType clr20r3, P1 homeserverconsole.exe, P2 6.0.0.0, P3 4acceb5f, P4 whscommon, P5 6.0.0.0, P6 4accead8, P7 334, P8 1b, P9 system.overflowexception, P10 NIL.

thats a crash. What could have caused this is hard to determine - could be an Add-In, could be issues with the backup database or something else.
    Did this happen only one time or always?
    About the PCs shown with an unknown status - which kind of security suite is involved on the client (or the server)?
    The wrong ports blocked through a firewall may cause strange results.
    Would it help, to either uninstall/reinstall the connector software via http://yourservername:55000?
    Or running discovery.exe in c:\Program Files\Windows Home Server on the clients?
    Eventually it would also make sense to relocate and delete the entire backup database and start from the scratch.
    Olaf
    Friday, November 27, 2009 9:02 PM
  • The console error doesn't happen always and probably is not related to the backups problem. I have already tryed to re-install the connectors, but all is fine: the clients to backup service communication is ok: is the home server console that can't anymore speak with the backup service, to get the info useful to show the state and to allow backup configurations... Certainly I could clear the full backups DB (erasing directly the files...), but I am quite sure that the console problem would be still there, because the DB is OK...
    Do someone know if is there a way to re-install only the console...?

:-(
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 4:35 PM
  • Just to try I have saved my backup DB (250 Gb) using the "BDBB" add-in and I have cleared the backups folder non the server. As expected nothing changed on the console: obviously the console DB check tool finds the change, but the console still doesn't speak with the backup service and keep thinking it is not running... Maybe this problem happended only to me, but it is probably some sort of WHS bug because:
    - I've not installed / removed something on the server when the problen started;
    - I' m sure that all the server disks (1x500Gb, 2x1Tb) are OK;
    - the console says "the backup server is not running" when it is running and backupping...

:-(

I'm starting to restore the server from scratch...

:-(((
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 1:44 PM
  • Could it be a name resolution problem?
    Although I would have to say, that I have not seen causing name resolution issues such selective problems. Usually it is more a complete feature, like accessing the console or joining clients to the server, which does not work.
    Anyway, could you post the output of ipconfig /all issued in a command prompt on one client and the server?
    Did you at any time alter the hosts files on the clients and have now the IP address of the server changed, so that the hosts does not longer match the server?
    Olaf
    Monday, November 30, 2009 9:15 AM