Will WHS work with my D-link DNS-321 RRS feed

• Question

• I have this neat network box with 2 TB's of space. I just got WHS and I love the idea of having a home server. The problem I'm having is I cannot get WHS to see the DNS-321 in the Storage screen. Can this be done so WHS sees the DNS-321 and I can use it as my storage device?

The DNS-321 is network only and does not have USB. 

I can map the DNS-321 to the machine WHS is on, but that is all. 

Thank you in advance.  
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 6:25 PM

Answers

• Sorry, WHS can only use USB, and eSATA (plus possibly firewire, but I've never tested that) external disks as part of the storage pool. It needs more low level control of the disks than a NAS box can provide. But you can map it and via scripts use it as a server backup (backing up the WHS to the DNS 321).

HP MediaSmart EX475, 2GB ram, 2x512 + 1x120 GB storage. Author of WHS File Manager Add-In, WHS Jungle Disk Add-in and WHS Media Connect Configuration Add-in. http://blog.paks.no/whs-add-ins/
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, April 18, 2009 7:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by ZoeKool Sunday, April 19, 2009 12:28 AM
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 7:18 PM

All replies

• Sorry, WHS can only use USB, and eSATA (plus possibly firewire, but I've never tested that) external disks as part of the storage pool. It needs more low level control of the disks than a NAS box can provide. But you can map it and via scripts use it as a server backup (backing up the WHS to the DNS 321).

HP MediaSmart EX475, 2GB ram, 2x512 + 1x120 GB storage. Author of WHS File Manager Add-In, WHS Jungle Disk Add-in and WHS Media Connect Configuration Add-in. http://blog.paks.no/whs-add-ins/
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, April 18, 2009 7:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by ZoeKool Sunday, April 19, 2009 12:28 AM
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 7:18 PM
  • I have this neat network box with 2 TB's of space. I just got WHS and I love the idea of having a home server. The problem I'm having is I cannot get WHS to see the DNS-321 in the Storage screen. Can this be done so WHS sees the DNS-321 and I can use it as my storage device?

No.

The DNS-321 is network only and does not have USB.

I can map the DNS-321 to the machine WHS is on, but that is all.

Thank you in advance.
    WHS demands control of all hardware.  If you want to use WHS, you must copy the data to the server through the network shares.
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 7:24 PM