WHS 2011 - Setting up scenario....Newbie RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I intend to install WHS2011 on a HP Microserver on the 250GB disk that is provided, then add 2 x 1TB disks to be used for mirrored backup i.e. 1TB of actual storage. 2 questions:

1 - am I correct in assuming that WHS backup works in this way i.e. mirrored.

2 - can I just install the OS, then setup the backup / storage regime as I intend when I get the additional hard drives to be used for storage / backup? Or am I best waiting until I have the drives.

Thanks

mdemetri2

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 9:27 AM

Answers

• What WHS backup are you talking about? By default Clients are backed up to the Server to the location you specify in the Dashboard and the Server can be backed up to an external hard drive. So by default mirroring is not used.

No problem installing to your 250GB disk and then adding other disks as required - use the Dashboard to move the shared folders (which will be initially created on your first HDD as D:) to your new disk(s).

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by Olaf Engelke Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Monday, June 4, 2012 9:06 AM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 11:37 AM