WHS 2011 Backup - Client data RRS feed

• Question

• My Windows home server consists of 4 HDDs

2 x 250gb

2 x 1TB

OS is on 1 x 250 and this has it;s backup to the other 250

My client backups are to 1TB and the other 1TB is for Shared data (or will be)

My Client data backs up far too often, I don't want daily, weekly and monthly, and can't turn this off? Can someone tell me how? It's eating my 1TB disk in no time.

• Edited by Hannayiom Wednesday, August 3, 2011 2:45 PM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:20 PM

All replies

• In your Dashboard, on the Computers & Backup tab select the computer you want to switch off and follow the wizard.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:43 PM
  • No, you can't alter the scheduled frequency of backups, I'm afraid. But your client backups database should "settle" in size fairly quickly, unless a large amount of data changes on every client every time you back up (this may happen when using some disk defragmenters).

How many clients do you have and how large is the database?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:43 PM
  • there are two clients holding about 350gb of data between them. I only want a single backup each as they are also backed up elsewhere too. It won;t allow me to pick a network place for backup either....

Thursday, August 4, 2011 2:46 PM
  • Switch off backups for the clients as described above and then manually run a backup for those you want backups for. The backups are stored in the folder "Client Computer Backups" on the Server, the location of which can be moved in the Dashboard under the Shared Folders tab.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 7:13 PM
  • After the first backup of each client, the backup database should't grow very quickly (if at all), because Windows Home Server uses a technique similar to "single instance storage" (except dealt with at the level of physical clusters, rather than files) to store client backups. But you can, as Philip has mentioned, turn backups off for a client.

As for using network storage, Windows home Server should let you use anything that looks to the OS like an actual HDD in server storage. This includes iSCSI storage, though I don't recommend the use of iSCSI in the home since most homes don't have the network architecture to support a truly high speed SAN. You will not, however, be able to use a mapped drive, or a UNC path, in server storage or as a server backup drive.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 8:39 PM