Trying to deploy OCS without success RRS feed

• Question

• At the suggestion of Jeff Schertz, I have started a new thread to try and identify 1) what I'm trying to deploy, 2) what I have tried, 3) my current configuration, and 4) what are the current failures.  So here goes...

What I'm trying to deploy:

My goal of this exercise is to deploy a reasonably full featured OCS 2007 for evaluation.  The first stage should have IM, audio, and audio/video calls and conferencing, with appropriate archiving.  Interfacing with the PSTN is later.  This deployment should be available on the Intranet (local LAN) as well as the Internet.  (Federation not required.)

What I have tried:

I have tried both the Enterprise Consolidated (with a Consolidated Edge Server) and Enhanced topologies.

My current configuration:

On the local LAN: FES, Web Conf Server, A/V Server, Archive Server, SQL Server, and AD server.  Access to internet through NATting firewall; needed by other systems, not intended for the OCS systems.  Local LAN is gigabit Ethernet.

Dual homed systems (local LAN on one NIC, Internet with static IP addresses on the other NIC): Access Edge Server, A/V Edge Server, Web Edge Server.  The Internet facing NIC is behind a Windows firewall (on the individual system) allowing only the appropriate (from the documentation and config tool) protocols.  External connections are via (business) DSL with 1+M down and 384k up.

All certificates are generated by a local CA, but all all systems (local LAN and Internet) have a certificate installed to recognize the local CA as trusted.  (This is working fine for our Sharepoint deployment.)

Current problems:

The main problem is the systems cannot connect to OCS from the Internet; there seem to be some handshaking, but after a while the error pops up.  (I have not but up a network sniffer to see exactly how it is failing.)  Connecting works fine from the local LAN.

The second problem is when two local LAN systems establish a video call, all works well for "a while".  It seems whenever there appears to be a "lot"  (i.e., I'm waving my arms rather than just sitting there) of activity first one video "screen" will freeze then the other, and finall the call is dropped.  Looking at the system and network performance of the systems running the Communicator client, the A/V Edge Server and the A/V Server shows minimal impact.  In other words, very little network traffic, and mor ethan 95% idle time.

BTW, the same problems showed up in BOTH (consolidated and Enhanced) topologies.

- Mark

Friday, October 17, 2008 2:01 PM

All replies

• Right off the bat, are you adverse to 'starting from scratch' with this deployment?  There are a lot of moving parts here and the more straightforward approach (IMO) would be to just uninstall all OCS components, remove the pool, DNS records, everything.

Then start with a simple Standard Edition Stand-Alone (or Enterprise Edition Consolidated) server and don't immediately deploy any Edge, Archiving, or other roles until you get Audio/Video working rock-solid with internal clients.  From there add the Edge component and validate, then toss in A/CDR, etc. You may very well have some internal networking issues outside of OCS causing the drop problems, so troubleshooting might not be as big a headache as it sounds, but 'rebooting' the deployment might be a less stressful way to systematically install and document the steps.

I guess this approach really depends on if you are just trying to get this working once and don't care how, or if you plan to do more OCS deployments in the future and want to build up your understanding of the product.  Otherwise, I'd get NetMon or Wireshark on the Edge server and double-check the config against the Edge Deployment Tool's recommendations.

Friday, October 17, 2008 2:32 PM
  • Hi Jeff.

Right off the bat, are you adverse to 'starting from scratch' with this deployment?  There are a lot of moving parts here and the more straightforward approach (IMO) would be to just uninstall all OCS components, remove the pool, DNS records, everything.

I've already tried it.  This is my third deployment attempt.  First was Enterprise Enhanced... bzzzt.  Second was Enterprise Consolidated... bzzzt.  Third is Enterprise Enhanced, after following all the recommendations from the Edge Server Deployment tool... bzzzt.

BTW, I found out doing a remove pool doesn't really remove everything.  You have to go into AD and manually remove the remaining pieces.  I did it with ADSEdit.

> Then start with a simple Standard Edition Stand-Alone (or Enterprise Edition Consolidated) server and don't immediately deploy any Edge, Archiving, or other roles until you get Audio/Video working rock-solid with internal clients.  From there add the Edge component and validate, then toss in A/CDR, etc. You may very well have some internal networking issues outside of OCS causing the drop problems, so troubleshooting might not be as big a headache as it sounds, but 'rebooting' the deployment might be a less stressful way to systematically install and document the steps.

Given the lack of CPU & network activity at the time of the freezing and call drop, I don't believe there is a bottleneck problem.  Probably the biggest issue is the complete lack of any logging, messages, etc. indicating why the call is being dropped.  BTW, this is the same problem I was seeing with the Exterprise Consolidated befire I tried to add the consolidated Edge Servers.  So it would seem the problem doesn't care about the topology.

> I guess this approach really depends on if you are just trying to get this working once and don't care how, or if you plan to do more OCS deployments in the future and want to build up your understanding of the product.

I really want/need to understand how this works, so the pain is somewhat expected.  Although I must admit, it is really excessive given the OCS marketing...

> Otherwise, I'd get NetMon or Wireshark on the Edge server and double-check the config against the Edge Deployment Tool's recommendations.

I have done this already in former attempt: first and second deployment attempts.  What I was seeing just didn't make sense: the client system was tryign to contact the server systems on the local LAN via their internal IP address which was guaranteed to fail from the Internet.  One other problem with this, is I have only found very little documentation describing how the connections are made, used, and torn down.  What I did find, didn't have the level of detail needed to diagnose the problems I've seen.

I was also hoping there might be some internal debugging available within OCS, but so far I have only found limited event logging, and it is pretty much useless.

I hope this helps you understand why I am so frustrated.

- Mark

Friday, October 17, 2008 3:10 PM
  • Hi Mark,
    I know its a bad way to start, but first off i'd terminate my windows firewall. Leave the service running but jump into the profiles and shut them off for the duration of your lab/testing.

I agree that i would also drop the extra services until its stable in voice and basic functionality.

few things to confirm:
    are you reverse proxying with isa for your edge services?
    are your certificates setup for the internal or external interfaces and dns on edge?

A few more things to think about :-)

Jammy
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 8:52 AM