Domain name service provider service is not available. Why? RRS feed

• Question

• In Dashboard\Server Settings\Remote Access the button labeled "Set up" in the section Domain name is disabled and i'd like to understand why. The text right in front of the button is the exact text that's in the subject of my question.

I was able to choose a domain name at one point, but I want to change it to a *.homeserver.com address as the RDP Gateway certificate is giving me issues.

Hope someone can provide some insight.

Regards,

Berry

Thursday, August 12, 2010 6:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Although I have refreshed the machine with the new build I am pretty sure I know what was causing my issues. It turns out the CMOS battery of this particular machine was almost empty causing a reset of the system clock in between reboots.

As the new build initially also failed to install because of this I am quite sure my previous issues are related to this.

Regards,

Berry

Friday, August 20, 2010 8:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

VAIL is trying to tell you that the "Windows Server Domain Management" service (see Start->Run->services.msc) is not started.

Try restarting the server. If the service is still not started, you could try to start it manually.
    Also check the Windows Event Viewer for any errors related to this service. (Worst case, there is some problem with your VAIL server installation and you need a server re-install)

- Theo.

PS - I would expect VAIL to display a critical error "important service not running" in the VAIL Dashboard and Launchpad. From there you should be able to fix the problem. Could it be you have set the error to be ignored?

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:57 PM
  • @Theo,

Starting the service manualy tells me it can't because of a failing dependancy (Windows Server Service Provider Registry). Manualy starting the dependant service results in that service starting and immediately stopping.

Looking at the event viewer i do see some errors, but the ones related to the domain management service are all because it failed to start manually.

Dashboard tells me there are crtical errors, but it shows none at all. I think something went realy wrong during during VAIL setup. All my created user accounts for instance don't show up in the dashboard (but they are working).

i'll do some more digging but I think i'd be best of performing a fresh install. Thanks for trying to help though.

- Berry

Sunday, August 15, 2010 4:05 PM
  • @Theo,

Starting the service manualy tells me it can't because of a failing dependancy (Windows Server Service Provider Registry). Manualy starting the dependant service results in that service starting and immediately stopping.

Looking at the event viewer i do see some errors, but the ones related to the domain management service are all because it failed to start manually.

Dashboard tells me there are crtical errors, but it shows none at all. I think something went realy wrong during during VAIL setup. All my created user accounts for instance don't show up in the dashboard (but they are working).

i'll do some more digging but I think i'd be best of performing a fresh install. Thanks for trying to help though.

- Berry

Before wiping your OS, you should file a bug report on Connect.
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 4:08 PM
  • Berry, if you manage to figure things out before you do a fresh install, please report back to us so that if someone else has the problem, you will have solved it for us. :)

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"Berry Schreuder - Qawa" wrote in message news:429724cd-40a5-49f3-8b26-e638148aa079@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

@Theo,

Looking at the event viewer i do see some errors, but the ones related to the domain management service are all because it failed to start manually.

- Berry

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 7:50 PM
  • i'll do some more digging but I think i'd be best of performing a fresh install. Thanks for trying to help though.

Hi Berry,
    As Kariya suggested, would you please file a bug report to connect?
    Important is then that you send additional information (CAB's) that enables MS to determine what is wrong with the system.

[FYI: For generating CAB information you need to install and run the "Vail Log Collector" on your server (downloadable from the WHS/VAIL connect site). It will gather technical information, ask you to allow it to send information to MS and generate a CAB number for you to add to your bug report.
    There is a posibility that it fails to send information however:

If the user interface of the program does not display, a registry setting may not be set to the correct value.
    Ensure that the following registry setting is set to 0:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\DontShowUI

More details you will find in the Log Collectors documentation. ]

Thanks!
    - Theo.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 9:20 PM
  • Theo,

It appears the Vail Log Collector has been taken down.  I believe it disappeared last week.  If it is there, I can't find it.

--

BullDawg
      In God We Trust

Hi Berry,
    As Kariya suggested, would you please file a bug report to connect?
    Important is then that you send additional information (CAB's) that enables MS to determine what is wrong with the system.

[FYI: For generating CAB information you need to install and run the "Vail Log Collector" on your server (downloadable from the WHS/VAIL connect site). It will gather technical information, ask you to allow it to send information to MS and generate a CAB number for you to add to your bug report.
    There is a posibility that it fails to send information however:

If the user interface of the program does not display, a registry setting may not be set to the correct value.
    Ensure that the following registry setting is set to 0:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\DontShowUI

More details you will find in the Log Collectors documentation. ]

Thanks!
    - Theo.

BullDawg
    Monday, August 16, 2010 3:01 AM
  • Leen had mentioned that back on 8-08 12:47 in the thread "Why are we testing this OLD build".

I'm sure there is something coming to submit the proper files.

--
    Don
    Monday, August 16, 2010 3:22 AM
  • There is a new version of the Log Collector now:

The Vail Log Collector tool has been replaced with the Windows Server Solutions Log Collector.  It is recommended that you uninstall the Vail Log Collector Preview and install the new Windows Server Solutions Log Collector Preview.  Please read the enclosed Log Collector documentation for more information.

- Theo.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 6:47 PM
  • Hi,

Although I have refreshed the machine with the new build I am pretty sure I know what was causing my issues. It turns out the CMOS battery of this particular machine was almost empty causing a reset of the system clock in between reboots.

As the new build initially also failed to install because of this I am quite sure my previous issues are related to this.

Regards,

Berry

Friday, August 20, 2010 8:37 AM