Backup failing for only 1 of 5 computers RRS feed

• Question

• There are several similiar posts to my issue, but all are a little different.
    My WHS has been running without issue for months and no changes have been made in several weeks.
    Yesterday one of my machines failed to backup and I am unable to back it up manually.
    When attempting to back it up, a pop-up message stating that the backup service is not running appears.  However, I can immediately try to backup a different machine and it works fine.
    I ran the backup DB repair from the console successfully - this did not help.
    I attempted to run the DB cleanup from the console, but it fails with the message "An error in the backup service is preventing the cleanup operation."  I am still able to backup other machines though.

Attempting to backup the machine that is failing and attempting a manual DB cleanup both generate the following 2 entries in the event log on the server:

------
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: Backup
    Event ID: 272
    Date:  5/26/2009
    Time:  9:33:59 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: EUSERVER
    Description:
    Unexpected error 0x17 from ReadFile on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\EUGAME.C.VolumeCluster.4096.dat: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

------
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: Backup
    Event ID: 267
    Date:  5/26/2009
    Time:  9:33:59 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: EUSERVER
    Description:
    Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp2\qhs\src\backup\util\diskfile.cpp(449)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    ---------

The failed backup attempt also generates the following 2 entries in the event log on the client machine:

-------
    Log Name:      Application
    Source:        HomeServer
    Date:          5/26/2009 8:04:27 AM
    Event ID:      773
    Task Category: HomeBackup
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      EUGame
    Description:
    Backup of volume C: to EUSERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ProtocolException: Client / Server connection lost
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.TryReconnect(Int32 localGeneration)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.WriteWithReconnect(Int32 count)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.BinaryWriterEx.WriteFixed(Byte[] value)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.BackupProtocol.SendClusterHash(Int64 clusterIndex, Byte[] hash)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoClusterPass1()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="HomeServer" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="53247">773</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>3</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-05-26T13:04:27.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>7311</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>EUGame</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>300</Data>
        <Data>C:</Data>
        <Data>EUSERVER</Data>
        <Data>Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ProtocolException: Client / Server connection lost
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.TryReconnect(Int32 localGeneration)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.WriteWithReconnect(Int32 count)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ReconnectableStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.BackupProtocol.SendClusterHash(Int64 clusterIndex, Byte[] hash)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

--------
    Log Name:      Application
    Source:        HomeServer
    Date:          5/26/2009 8:04:27 AM
    Event ID:      770
    Task Category: HomeBackup
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      EUGame
    Description:
    Backup set 300 on EUSERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ProtocolException: Client / Server connection lost
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="HomeServer" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="53247">770</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>3</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-05-26T13:04:27.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>7312</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>EUGame</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>300</Data>
        <Data>EUSERVER</Data>
        <Data>Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.Protocol.ProtocolException: Client / Server connection lost
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

-----

Everything else on WHS seems to be working fine and no recent changes have been made.
    Losing saved back-ups would be an absolute last resort for me.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:49 PM

Answers

• Obviously there's an error in one of the backup database files. You can try and fix this by running chkdsk on all data disks in your server:

Logon to your server desktop, open command shell ("DOS" window), then run the following commands.

1. net stop pdl
    2. net stop whsbackup
    3. chkdsk D: /x /f /r

4. for /d %1 in (c:\fs\*) do chkdsk /x /f /r %1 

Please note chkdsk may take a long time to run, so you may need to be patient.

After you chkdsk has finished reboot, then check if this fixed your problem. If not you can try to delete the client (for which the backup is failing) from the WHS console. If you're offered an option to remove backups for this client choose yes.

• Marked as answer by euner Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:49 PM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 3:13 PM
  • You should copy that command, exactly as written, paste it into a command shell window, and run it unaltered. Or run the batch file you'll find here. Explanation: Windows Home Server uses mount points in the folder C:\FS to attach secondary storage pool drives; this command (as written) loops through each mount point and runs chkdsk on the associated drive immediately. Also, there's no need for the /f parameter for chkdsk if you are using the /r parameter, because /r forces /f as well.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:39 PM
  • The disk checks ran overnight and did find lost clusters for files relating to the bad machine.
    I was able to successfully back up the machine in question after the fix without losing any previous backups.
    The help is much appreciated.
    • Marked as answer by euner Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:48 PM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:48 PM

All replies

• Obviously there's an error in one of the backup database files. You can try and fix this by running chkdsk on all data disks in your server:

Logon to your server desktop, open command shell ("DOS" window), then run the following commands.

1. net stop pdl
    2. net stop whsbackup
    3. chkdsk D: /x /f /r

4. for /d %1 in (c:\fs\*) do chkdsk /x /f /r %1 

Please note chkdsk may take a long time to run, so you may need to be patient.

After you chkdsk has finished reboot, then check if this fixed your problem. If not you can try to delete the client (for which the backup is failing) from the WHS console. If you're offered an option to remove backups for this client choose yes.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 3:13 PM
  • Step 3 is currently running.
    Can you clarify step 4:
     "4. for /d %1 in (c:\fs\*) do chkdsk /x /f /r %1 "

It seems like you want me to run chkdsk on the specified directory (I don't think that is supported for NTFS).
    Also I am unfamilar with what %1 does as a switch in the chkdsk command.
    Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here.
    Thanks.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 7:44 PM
  • Step 3 is currently running.
    Can you clarify step 4:
     "4. for /d %1 in (c:\fs\*) do chkdsk /x /f /r %1 "

It seems like you want me to run chkdsk on the specified directory (I don't think that is supported for NTFS).
    Also I am unfamilar with what %1 does as a switch in the chkdsk command.
    Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here.
    Thanks.

Hi,

4. is a batch script. The %1 is part of the "for" cmd and increments the mount points in c:\fs\* which are the drives in the storage pool.

Thanks

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:36 PM
  • You should copy that command, exactly as written, paste it into a command shell window, and run it unaltered. Or run the batch file you'll find here. Explanation: Windows Home Server uses mount points in the folder C:\FS to attach secondary storage pool drives; this command (as written) loops through each mount point and runs chkdsk on the associated drive immediately. Also, there's no need for the /f parameter for chkdsk if you are using the /r parameter, because /r forces /f as well.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:39 PM
  • The disk checks ran overnight and did find lost clusters for files relating to the bad machine.
    I was able to successfully back up the machine in question after the fix without losing any previous backups.
    The help is much appreciated.
    • Marked as answer by euner Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:48 PM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:48 PM