Status of PC Backups and Shares after Reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I will be reinstalling WHS after a Boot disk problem WHS will not start.  After an emergency boot with an Active Boot Disk Live CD I was able to verify that all my data seems to be intact. My question is; after the reinstall how do I get my PC backups back into the connector/server so they can be opened and restored? Will my old shares appear automatically? Unfortunately used the PC backups to store some data not on my main PC that I need to get back. How will WHS handle the reinstall? Would it  be the time to also update motherboard before reinstall.

I hope I have been specific with describing my problem. Please note this is my first WHS reinstall since my WHS has been running 24/7 since 2007.  Thanks in advance for your instruction.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 3:02 PM

All replies

• If the system drive is still OK and data is not corrupted server reinstall should normally retain all data including client Backups. If the system disk is no longer usable you will most likely loose all client backups and possibly data in shares that were not duplicated. The procedure is described in the FAQ post How to recover data after server failure

If you want to do a server reinstall on the original system disk I strongly advise you to run chkdsk /f /r on both partitions of the system disk (command prompt, chkdsk X: /f /r where X = Drive letter). If the system doesn't boot you can try and mount the disk in another system, then run the chkdsk. If you don't see any partitions when mounting the disk in another system there's a more serious issue with the disk. If you really need the data you may need to seek epxert advise. You could also try and fix the error yourself, for example using a program such as Spinrite, or try and get the readable data from the disk using a program like PC inspector file recovery, then use the "manual" procedure as described in How to recover data after server failure.

Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:10 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestions, for some strange reason I can't seem to boot into any WHS mode from F8 that includes command prompt, safe mode etc. When you say mount disk in another system do you mean physically remove it and place on another system. This all started when I set the disks from within WHS to re boot  to run Chkdsk on that re boot system would not boot at all. Thanks

Charles Ragucci
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 4:51 PM
  • If the system won't boot generally indicates there's one more required files missing or damaged or the file system somehow got messed up (or in rare case other hardware issues). Unless you are experienced fixing this may be a difficult taks. In general it's easiest to physically mount the disk in another system. Then if both partitions show up you can run chkdsk /f /r on both partitions. In some instances the disk may even be bootable again after this process finished. Please note chkdsk may take a long time to finish, especially if errors are found on the disk. If the system is not bootable after chkdsk a server reinstall is probably your best option. If you don't see any partitions when mounting the disk in another system there's often a problem with the so called MBR. To fix this you can boot the WHS system with the system disk into recovery mode from Windows XP, the recovery console will offer you ways to fix the MBR and some other boot issues. This is advances stuff, so you may need some expert advice to help you doing this. If you want to try yourself search the web for fdisk /MBR. Worst case scenario would be a disk which is damaged beyond repair. In that case you will need a professional data recovery expert to retrieve the data. 

Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:15 PM