Very Basic Sync Question RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi, I am very new to the sync framework so new infact that I don't even know exactly what it is.

Here is what I have done. I have created two applications one for a PC and another for a windows mobile device. I made both programs run XML for their database and made them both identical from the PC version to the Device so there is no differece.

Here is what I want to do. I want to be able to sync those files to each other when the PC XML changes it updates the Device XML when the Device XML changes it updates the PC XML.

My question is this. Can the Sync Framework do this?

if the Sync Framework can do this where should I begin on trying to figure out how to accomplish this.

If the Sync Framework cannot do this does anyone know of what I can use to do this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, September 19, 2008 6:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Cold Beer,

To answer your question, yes I do believe that Sync Framework will be able to solve your requirements.  However, I do have a couple of questions and things to point out to you. 

First off, to learn a little more about Sync Framework you might want to check out our sync framework developer center.

To your other question, one thing that you will want to consider when building this is where will the sync be initiated from?  If you want to be able to initiate sync from the device and from the desktop then you will (in most cases)want to have the sync framework runtime available on that device.  For desktop this is absolutely no problem, the only thing to keep in mind is that the sync framework runtime on Windows Mobile is currently in CTP and has not been released yet.  This of course does not limit you from starting work, just something to keep in mind. 

The other alternative is to always initiate sync from the device.  In this case the one desktop app would monitor the XML on desktop and device and initiate sync as required. 

As another note, you might want to take a look at the Sync101 sync samples that I think will be a great starting point for you.

Liam

Friday, September 19, 2008 10:14 PM