Add Find Columns to Lookup View RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen documentation that states I should be able to "Add Find Columns" to a Lookup View in CRM 2013; however, I'm not seeing the option. I can add columns to the Quite Find View, but not the Lookup View. Am I missing something? I want to add columns from a related entity.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2015 6:55 PM

Answers

• Hey Meghan,

I will attempt to demonstrate the functionality using CRM's sample data and Custom Entities.

Let's say you're on an Opportunity, and you have a Contact Lookup. In this lookup, it is possible that you query the Contacts in your system via all the parameters you define in the Contact Quick Find Columns. It is also possible that you query Contacts that belong to a given Account (Using Account Name. This is because Account Lookup exists in the Contact Entity).

Adapting this to your own issue, in Entity A, you could query data from Entity B (any Column you'd like), and even query data from Product Catalog (with the limitation of only being able to use the Lookup field here, and not any Column you'd like). Extending this functionality for other possibilities would require a workaround, as you've mentioned,

Let me know if that helped,

Thank you,

• Proposed as answer by Pedro Beltrao Friday, March 6, 2015 4:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Meghan Deaver Monday, March 9, 2015 1:52 PM
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 10:56 PM
  • Hi Pedro,

Thank you, that makes sense. The issue is that my needs are to query using a column from the Product Catalog that is not the Lookup field - you note this is not doable in your example above.

I did the work-around by adding the column needed from the Product Catalog to the associated record and updating the Quick Find View there.

Thank you for your assistance!

Monday, March 9, 2015 1:52 PM

All replies

• Hey Meghan,

Add Find Columns is basically be the functionality that allows you to add new search parameters to the Quick Search View. So let's say you have Entity Account, whenever you search for data in the quick search box, it will open the quick search view and display results according to what has been searched.

In this particular view, you can select multiple Find Columns so that CRM queries the fields you've selected (instead of say, just the name). It is recommended that no more than 3 fields are used for searching unless you absolutely have to - Performance could be affected otherwise.

Let me know if this helped with your issue,

Thanks,

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 12:46 AM
  • Hi Pedro,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am familiar with the functionality as it pertains to the Quick Find Views; however, I read a few articles stating this feature was also available for the Lookup Views as well. I have a Lookup View on a custom entity and I want to add additional Find columns from a related entity as part of the search functionality on the Look Up Records window.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 1:16 AM
  • Hi Meghan,

The Lookup Views internally query from the Quick Find View - Find Columns, so you just have to set up the Columns that you'd like to be queryable for a certain Entity (So, add the columns to the Quick Find View), and when looking records up in the Lookup View, it should display the correct results.

Hope this was helpful,

• Edited by Pedro Beltrao Wednesday, March 4, 2015 11:21 AM typos
    Wednesday, March 4, 2015 11:03 AM
  • Hi Pedro,

That is what I tried but it doesn't seem to be working when the Lookup View is displaying the columns from a related entity. For example, I'm on Detail Record A with a lookup to related record B. Record B contains a relationship to the Product Catalog. I want the Lookup View from Detail Record A to be able to search for data from Record B as well as the Product Catalog. I am able to add the appropriate columns to the Lookup View but even though I have added the Find Columns to the Quick View from the Product Catalog they are not searchable from my lookup field on Detail Record A.

I know the quick and dirty work-around would be to add the Product Catalog data to Record B, either visible or hidden, but I was hoping to not have to do additional customization of the form unless absolutely necessary.

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 2:23 PM
  • Hey Meghan,

I will attempt to demonstrate the functionality using CRM's sample data and Custom Entities.

Let's say you're on an Opportunity, and you have a Contact Lookup. In this lookup, it is possible that you query the Contacts in your system via all the parameters you define in the Contact Quick Find Columns. It is also possible that you query Contacts that belong to a given Account (Using Account Name. This is because Account Lookup exists in the Contact Entity).

Adapting this to your own issue, in Entity A, you could query data from Entity B (any Column you'd like), and even query data from Product Catalog (with the limitation of only being able to use the Lookup field here, and not any Column you'd like). Extending this functionality for other possibilities would require a workaround, as you've mentioned,

Let me know if that helped,

Thank you,

• Proposed as answer by Pedro Beltrao Friday, March 6, 2015 4:08 PM
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 10:56 PM
  • Hi Pedro,

Thank you, that makes sense. The issue is that my needs are to query using a column from the Product Catalog that is not the Lookup field - you note this is not doable in your example above.

I did the work-around by adding the column needed from the Product Catalog to the associated record and updating the Quick Find View there.

Thank you for your assistance!

Monday, March 9, 2015 1:52 PM