bad hard drive error code =0x0 RRS feed

• General discussion

• laptop saying bad hard drive recovery cds wont work windows installation disc wont work it gives
    error code = 0x0 plz someone help me quick thanks
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:11 PM

All replies

• Off topic for the Security Essentials forum.

However, if the drive is bad, the drive is bad.  Get a new drive, and then use your CDs.  If the CDs are bad, you will need to contact your laptop manufacturer.

Doc
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:13 PM
  • is there no way u can fix the drive
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:35 PM
  • It is possible that a format or chkdsk of the drive can mark bad blocks and not use them. 

Chkdsk would allow you to still use the drive, if successful, although there would some loss of files and/or data.

Format, obviously, is more serious and will wipe out your drive.

And both of these methods will only work if the drive electronics are still working.

Trust me on this.  If the drive is going bad, salvage what data you can, and get a new drive.  You will be happier in the long run.

Stay away from people who say they can recover a bad drive.  Although possible, you will likely not get all the data, and the cost will not be pleasing...

Doc
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:40 PM
  • thanks
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:24 PM
  • I wish I could have provided you with a better alternative.  Even if chkdsk or format were able to mark the bad blocks and not use them, you would still need to replace the drive [ultimately].  My opinion on this is that disk is cheap, and there is no need to risk using a failing drive.  Backup your data, keep your install disks, and be ready for the worst - because it will happen.

Doc

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:54 PM