none
one source, different jobs to different targets RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I'm wondering whether SyncToy can do this: I have local disk folders with different kinds of files (lets say one is private and one is work). I have two external USB drives that I use for backup of my files. I would like to backup my private new files to my "private usb drive" and my work new files to my "work usb drive". Of course it would be best if SyncToy would apply it's sync changes when detecting the proper drive. The problem with other tools I've tried is that the target is obviously recognized by the drive letter - which in the above case would be the same. So is there any way that SyncToy recognizes a different disk even if the letter is the same?
    Thanks in advance.

C.
    Friday, December 19, 2008 9:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Through my understanding. Sync Toy can do your work.

create two folder pairs for each. even later time the drive letter changed, it does not matter to Sync Toy.

Thanks,

Baoke

Monday, December 22, 2008 2:53 AM
  • I have to do this all the time.

I have two USB drives and each drive has two partitions. The 1st partition contains my client files. The 2nd partition contains all my pictures and videos.

I keep one USB drive in my office and travel with it as a backup in case my laptop goes down. The 2nd USB drive is stored in a safe deposit box and is swapped out weekly with the other USB drive. So, each drive is essentially identical.

I had to assign a permanent drive letter to each drive/partition to force SyncToy to recognize each drive. Since I have three hard drives in my main machine and each with numerous partitions as well as a number of card readers, cell phones, etc, I used Drive letters W, X, on one USB drive and Y, Z on the other. This avoids potential drive letter conflicts if I have many devices connected at once. I then set up the folder pairs for each drive.

EX: “Documents – External Drive 2 – W:\”, “Images – External Drive 3 – X:\”

SyncToy works perfectly now.

You can find instructions for assigning a permanent drive letter here: http://mintywhite.com/tech/xp/assign-a-permanent-letter-to-a-usb-thumb-drive/

Hope this helps.

Monday, December 22, 2008 1:19 PM