none
Cannot open Money file in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Upgraded to Windows 10, now cannot open Money existing Money file.

Changed the registry per forum advice so I am able to create a new money file, but want to open my existing file.

Any advice on how I do that please?

Sunday, September 27, 2015 5:59 PM

All replies

• When you upgraded to Windows 10 did you reinstall Money?  What version?

What error do you get when you try to open your previous Money file.  What version created that file?

BTW, reports are that the registry change is not needed if you have the latest Windows 10 updates.  

Bill Becker

Sunday, September 27, 2015 7:07 PM
  • Undo the registry change. It was only needed until the first Cumulative Update for Windows 10.

The basic troubleshooting step is to uninstall and reinstall a problematic program.

If your Money data file, and any backup files, are in the Program Files x86 area, move them to your user Documents area.

If you have installed a version of Money 2005 from a disk, throw the disk away and download and install the appropriate regional version of Money 2005 from the second post in this forum.

If you have installed some other version of Money, most probably the version you were using had been updated (by e.g. a version of Works) and the disk installed an earlier version than the one in use. Install either the appropriate regional version of Money 2005, or Money Sunset if you are in the US, from the second post in this forum.

Sunday, September 27, 2015 10:57 PM
  • I just uninstalled Money and re-installed Money 2005, UK edition, from link in second post in this forum.

I have reverted the registry to back as it was.

Cannot remember what version of Money created my original .mny file.

Error message I get is when password is entered in says compacting momentarily then just reverts back to screen asking for password.  If I enter a wrong password it returns an error message, when I enter the correct password the screen just stays there and does not respond to the password entry

Monday, September 28, 2015 8:19 PM
  • Also if I try to install a back-up it says the back is not compatible or corrupted
    Monday, September 28, 2015 8:23 PM
  • Some more data points:

The .mny file from the Windows 10 machine will open with its password using a newly installed Money 2005 program on a separate Windows 7 machine.

While on the Windows 7 machine I made a new .mny file, not password protected.

When I try to open the non-password protected file on the Windows 7 machine it says the file is not compatible or corrupted.

Monday, September 28, 2015 8:47 PM
  • Undo the registry change. It was only needed until the first Cumulative Update for Windows 10.

The basic troubleshooting step is to uninstall and reinstall a problematic program.

If your Money data file, and any backup files, are in the Program Files x86 area, move them to your user Documents area.

If you have installed a version of Money 2005 from a disk, throw the disk away and download and install the appropriate regional version of Money 2005 from the second post in this forum.

If you have installed some other version of Money, most probably the version you were using had been updated (by e.g. a version of Works) and the disk installed an earlier version than the one in use. Install either the appropriate regional version of Money 2005, or Money Sunset if you are in the US, from the second post in this forum.

Try this, which is probably similar to what  you tried already.

On the W7 machine, make a new Money file called test7.mny in your Documents folder (no password), and close Money.
    On that same machine, browse to test7.mny in Windows explorer, right-click that test7 file, and choose Open. Does that open?

Monday, September 28, 2015 9:05 PM
  • This is working for me.  My Money kept crashing when trying to download files.

https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/tag/mnyob99-dll-patch/

Good luck!

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 4:38 PM
  • I sort of did what you suggest.  I made a new .mny file on the W7 machine, and when I did file-open in Money it was fine.  I didn't do it with right mouse button and open from an explorer window.
    Tuesday, September 29, 2015 7:23 PM