Just a couple of questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello ppl Smile I have a laptop for which i bought a OEM version of XP home. My question is. What kind of hardware updates can i make without the risk of the OEM license expires? Can i add more RAM and chnage my DVD drive safely?

Another question is: The cd i bought came with sp1 only. I used nLite to slipstream SP2 on it. I would like to know if this is legal or if it is recomended to install sp2 everytime i reinstall windows?

Thx for the help Smile Cheers
    Wednesday, April 4, 2007 12:44 PM

Answers

• Tiago,

OEM licenses are good as long as they remain on the computer onto which they were first installed.   OEM licenses are not permtted to be moved to any other computer.  For the purposes of defining what a computer is, since computers are just a collection of parts, the motherboard has been established by MS as the base or defining component.

Any hardware can be changed without "losing your license."  If the motherboard is to be changed it can only be changed for the purposes of replacing a defective motherboard with the same or manufacturer's equivalent motherboard.  Changing the motherboard for perfomance or compatibility reasons constitutes a new computer, to which the OEM license is not permitted to be transfered.  Depending upon how much hardware is changed over a certain time period, hardware changes may trigger the need to reactivate.  Here is an excellent article on Product Activation:  http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

The OEM End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) permits you to make a backup archival copy of the operating system software if the manufacturer has not provided a backup copy either on the hard disk drive or on a CD.  While this does not explicitly permit you to make a modified copy of the supplied CD, it is a common and accepted computer industry practice and a good idea to have a slipstreamed CD.

To read your EULA, click Start>Run, type winver and click OK, then click on the EULA link in the resultant dialog box.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 5:50 PM
  • Tiago,

A BIOS update is just programming it does not change the hardware.

I answered your question about making a slipstreamed CD.

Thursday, April 5, 2007 1:24 AM

All replies

• Tiago,

OEM licenses are good as long as they remain on the computer onto which they were first installed.   OEM licenses are not permtted to be moved to any other computer.  For the purposes of defining what a computer is, since computers are just a collection of parts, the motherboard has been established by MS as the base or defining component.

Any hardware can be changed without "losing your license."  If the motherboard is to be changed it can only be changed for the purposes of replacing a defective motherboard with the same or manufacturer's equivalent motherboard.  Changing the motherboard for perfomance or compatibility reasons constitutes a new computer, to which the OEM license is not permitted to be transfered.  Depending upon how much hardware is changed over a certain time period, hardware changes may trigger the need to reactivate.  Here is an excellent article on Product Activation:  http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

The OEM End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) permits you to make a backup archival copy of the operating system software if the manufacturer has not provided a backup copy either on the hard disk drive or on a CD.  While this does not explicitly permit you to make a modified copy of the supplied CD, it is a common and accepted computer industry practice and a good idea to have a slipstreamed CD.

To read your EULA, click Start>Run, type winver and click OK, then click on the EULA link in the resultant dialog box.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 5:50 PM
  • so what you are trying to say is as long the MoBo is the same its all ok, right? Do BIOS update count as new MoBo?
    and what about the 2nd question.

Thx Smile
    Wednesday, April 4, 2007 8:44 PM
  • Tiago,

A BIOS update is just programming it does not change the hardware.

I answered your question about making a slipstreamed CD.

Thursday, April 5, 2007 1:24 AM
  • oh Stick out tongue sorry

Thx for all the help  Smile

Cheers!
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 1:29 AM