Rejoin windows live domain RRS feed

• Question

• I had to restore my server. HP470. When I try and configure my domain name, the "wizard" says I cannot use that name. I have searched a number of sites but I cannot find out how to continue to use my same domain name. Microsoft seems to be forcing us to continually create new domain names and go through the bother of telling everyone the new url. Anyone know how to do this?

Bill J
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:00 PM

Answers

• awjensen said:

I was using homeserver.com. I have two .net passports - I have tried both and neither gives me the ability to reuse the name. Any other ideas?

only, that you might have created another ID solely for this purpose and forgot about. At least I never experienced any problems to reconfigure my domain name myself.
    Or by chance your domain name has been landed on a list with unallowed words (as described also in this thread).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, February 12, 2009 4:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by awjensen Thursday, February 12, 2009 5:19 AM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    which domain did you use - homeserver.com or tzo.com? The first is provided by Microsoft, the second by HP for their MediaSmart servers.
    To reuse the same domain name for the homeserver.com domain  you need to use the same Windows Live ID, which you used for registering the domain.
    Not sure about the TZO domain, but the HP support websites will give you some more information. (If I remember correctly, HP charges for this domain after the first year.)
    Olaf
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:47 PM
  • I was using homeserver.com. I have two .net passports - I have tried both and neither gives me the ability to reuse the name. Any other ideas?
    Bill J
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:39 PM
  • awjensen said:

I was using homeserver.com. I have two .net passports - I have tried both and neither gives me the ability to reuse the name. Any other ideas?

only, that you might have created another ID solely for this purpose and forgot about. At least I never experienced any problems to reconfigure my domain name myself.
    Or by chance your domain name has been landed on a list with unallowed words (as described also in this thread).

Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, February 12, 2009 4:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by awjensen Thursday, February 12, 2009 5:19 AM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:20 PM