Cannot access internet on other computers after downloading Onecare_1821 on my desktop. RRS feed

• Question

• Since downloading onecare_1821 on my desktop last week, none of my laptops can access the internet.  I am using Actiontec for my router on the main computer and using U.S. Robotics Wireless Maxg PC card on my two laptops.  I have tried deleting one care entirely from all computers but I still cannot get the laptops to access the web.  Also, on numerous occasions I asked for a WEP or a WPA number and although I have followed all the leads from Google, I cannot find these number any where.  I do not want any of the computers to be a hub nor do I require printer or file sharing.  All I want is the ability to access the web from my laptops via the Maxg Card.  I don't care if I have to delete onecare, the firewalls and the anti virus permanently.  I just want to get back to normal.  Thank you very much. 
    • Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Monday, March 16, 2009 5:07 PM (Moved from Windows Live OneCare Multi-PC Management to Windows Live OneCare Secure WiFi)
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 4:28 PM

Answers

• I suggest re-setting your router. There should be a reset button on the back of your router and depressing it for 30 seconds should reset it to the factory defaults (unsecured ). You should then manually secure your wireless network. You should find instructions on how to do this in your router documentation or in the support pages of the router manufacturer website. 
    Jim
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 9:57 PM

All replies

• I suggest re-setting your router. There should be a reset button on the back of your router and depressing it for 30 seconds should reset it to the factory defaults (unsecured ). You should then manually secure your wireless network. You should find instructions on how to do this in your router documentation or in the support pages of the router manufacturer website. 
    Jim
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 9:57 PM
  • I have moved your post to the Secure WiFi forum for OneCare and marked Jim's reply as the answer.
    What happened is that you let OneCare configure the WiFi security from the desktop PC and you will need to match those settings on the wireless network card settings on the laptops. You can use the wizard in OneCare, found under change settings/firewall on the desktop PC to put the settings on a USB key or obtain the information manually, or do as Jim suggested and configure the security yourself.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, March 16, 2009 5:11 PM