Cannot Change Backup Device RRS feed

• Question

• I just recently purchased an external drive with a higher capacity device to accommodate centralized backup.  I was able to change the backup on 2 machines on the home network, but when I try to change the machine that was backing up on the old external drive, it does not change and reverts to the old drive and the backup change conformation denotes that machines 1 and 2 a on centralized backup and that machine 3 has an independent backup.

Help please.

Sunday, August 10, 2008 6:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• How was backup configured previously? To which PC is the new drive connected - that is, which PC is the hub? Is that also the PC that cannot backup to the new location or is it one of the other Circle PCs?

See if resetting the backup plan on that PC helps:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Now, configure that PC to use Centralized backup. You can do this from the hub PC or on the PC that you just disabled backup for.

-steve

Monday, August 11, 2008 4:42 PM
  • Backup was configured to use external drive.  The new drive connected to same PC.  This PC declared as hub,  The other PCs are backup automatically.

Reconfigured backup for this pc to use centralized backup and saved.  Status screen after save indicated other two PCs were centralized and this PC had its own B/U.  Went to change settings and the original configuration to B/U to external drive...chnaged settings were not saved.  Repeated process...Same result.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:57 AM
  • Either reset the plan (for the PC having the problem) to *not* backup at all and save, and then reconfigure the plan to use the Centralized backup device, or contact support for help:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:22 PM