whether a user becomes disabled will reduce the license in dynamics crm? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I want to disable some users in my CRM system, whether will reduce the license?

thanks,

Glo.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:50 AM

Answers

• Glo,

The answer is NO, disabling the user in CRM will not reduce the number of licenses

That is,

In my personal experience, i have seen that,

The number of available CRM user licenses will become +1 the moment when the user is disabled.

Thanks...

Cheers, Edwin
    • Proposed as answer by Edwin2win Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:44 PM
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:43 AM
  • Yes. Client access licenses are only consumed by enabled user accounts, so if you disable a user account the license is released and can be reassigned to a new user.

In the event of a software license audit, you need to have purchased sufficient client access licenses to cover the number of enabled users accounts.

Regards, Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter, and you're welcome to sign up to Customery, an online community for UK-based Dynamics CRM people.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:49 AM
  • No need to worry at all. Unfortunately users do not last forever, so this is expected. I have customers with 100 licenses, 100 enabled users and over 1,000 disabled users -- they have operated CRM in their business for over five years and have lots of seasonal, temporary staff. So long as you have sufficient licenses to cover the currently enabled users then you are fine.

Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter, and you're welcome to sign up to Customery, an online community for UK-based Dynamics CRM people.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:42 PM

All replies

• Glo,

The answer is NO, disabling the user in CRM will not reduce the number of licenses

That is,

In my personal experience, i have seen that,

The number of available CRM user licenses will become +1 the moment when the user is disabled.

Thanks...

Cheers, Edwin
    • Proposed as answer by Edwin2win Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:44 PM
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:43 AM
  • Yes. Client access licenses are only consumed by enabled user accounts, so if you disable a user account the license is released and can be reassigned to a new user.

In the event of a software license audit, you need to have purchased sufficient client access licenses to cover the number of enabled users accounts.

Regards, Neil

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:49 AM
  • Hi all,

thanks for the replies, so if i've purchased 15 users licenses, on CRM i have 15 users enabled and 2 users disabled, its mean i dont have problem all about users lisence, right? thank you very much its very helpfully.

-Glo.

• Edited by pntr Wednesday, April 14, 2010 2:31 AM
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 12:40 PM
  • No need to worry at all. Unfortunately users do not last forever, so this is expected. I have customers with 100 licenses, 100 enabled users and over 1,000 disabled users -- they have operated CRM in their business for over five years and have lots of seasonal, temporary staff. So long as you have sufficient licenses to cover the currently enabled users then you are fine.

Neil

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 1:42 PM
  • Hi Neil,

Thank you very much, your explanation is very clear about user lisence on dynamics CRM. now I do not hesitate to disable users temporarily unused.

Glo-

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 2:34 AM
  • Neil,

What happens to the Ownership of records when you disable an account? Are those records still owned by that user? I haven't tested it myself, but I'm thinking yes, until another user assigns it to him or herself.

Make it a great day!

Daniel Johnson, Jr.
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Friday, June 25, 2010 2:16 PM
  • Hi Daniel, technically nothing happens to records owned by disabled users. But from a data quality perspective I'm never happy when records are owned by disabled users, so it's a matter of business policy to resolve this situation. You can either:

1. Reassign all records owned by the disabled user to a named enabled user. For example, Fred has left, so reassign all Fred's records to Margaret. CRM has a "Reassign Records..." feature on the Actions menu of the User form to help with this. It doesn't reassign closed activities, but should reassign everything else. Sweet!

2. Distribute all records owned by the disabled user to a bunch of named users. For example, Fred has left, so reassign all his key accounts to Margaret and all other accounts to Peter. You'll have to use Advanced Find to filter on the different types of records owned by Fred and reassign them manually.

Regards, Neil

Friday, June 25, 2010 3:46 PM
  • My Company has 4 orgs in CRM 4.0.  One is not available to our clients (it is a temp org for changes).  The other three are used by clients.  We have multiple users in each org, some of the user are the same across the orgs. (IT accounts).  According to the deployment manager I have 21 user licenses. My questions are around how is a license consumed (below)

Is a licensed consumed by each individual user account (enabled accounts) regardless of how many orgs that user is in?

Are the licenses consumed by each user/org (meaning the same account is counted multiple times for each org it is in)?

Thanks in advance,

Ronnie Lay

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:59 PM