Genuine but can't validate! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to upgrade Internet Explorer. I purchased a new unopened copy of Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition upgrade with service pack 2 from OfficeMax #925 on 9/8/2007. I installed the upgrade of XP and now when I try to upgrade to the new Internet Explorer I keep getting a validation not able to complete error. I ran the validation process in Explorer v6, Foxfire v2, and Netscape v9 and all have the same results. The validation test to check settings worked in Mirosoft Internet Explorer. I read through the troubleshooting pages that are listed on Microsoft's website. I have an Old Compaq Standalone computer. Also Windows update KB928367 will not run, it also keeps failing with code 0x643. COA looks correct, also I registered my copy of XP.  Not sure why it says PID invalid on the Diagnostics. I ran the diagnostic software for the validation code error and this is the report below:

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0039.0):

-----------------------------------------

WGA Data-->

Validation Status: PID is invalid

Detailed Status: N/A

Cached / Grace status: N/A, N/A

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-P9M49-362KX-QY4WP

Windows Product Key Hash: lWADq9dQhZ8U/fqLlPihpGKexmc=

Windows Product ID: 76475-020-4692601-21824

Windows Product ID Type: 0

CSVLK Server: N/A

CSVLK PID: N/A

Windows License Type: Unknown

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom

ID: {E8E0006C-9352-41B0-8520-50E806C975E8}(3)

Is Admin: Yes

Commit / Reboot / BRT: N/A, N/A, N/A

WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Product Name: N/A

Architecture: N/A

Build lab: N/A

TTS Error: N/A

Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-85-80004005

Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A

File Exists: No

Version: N/A

WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 109 N/A

OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings:

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\NETSCAPE\NAVIGA~1\NAVIGA~1.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{E8E0006C-9352-41B0-8520-50E806C975E8}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0039.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-QY4WP</PKey><PID>76475-020-4692601-21824</PID><PIDType>0</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-682003330-854245398-1060284298</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Model>Compaq PC</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Version>686U1</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="1"/><Date>19990525000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>CDC132E70184A045</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Compaq</name><model>Presario</model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData> <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE:  Microsoft replyed with these fixes below, but still not working.

I registered the files listed, and there is not any ProductID data listed at that location.

Microsoft Regarding case IDTongue TiedRX1044457624

Dear Sharon,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Windows Update Support. My name is Nick and I am glad to work with you.

From the problem description, I understand that a genuine validation issue has been encountered and Windows Update cannot download the updates due to this validation issue. In addition, Windows update KB928367 will not install. If there has been any misunderstanding, please let me know.

I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you.

Before going further, I would like to explain that we usually address one issue per incident to avoid any confusion and keep track of troubleshooting steps. Therefore, I suggest that we focus on the WGA issue first.

After checking the Diagnostic Report, I found the error message as follow:

Validation Status: PID is invalid

The issue can occur if some DLL files haven't been registered successfully or the relevant information in the registry is incorrect. At this time, let's try the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Please click Start, click run.

2. Please type: cmd

3. Please type the following commands. After each command line, please press enter:

REGSVR32 licdll.dll

REGSVR32 licwmi.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files, please let me know which dll file failed. Then, please continue to register the other file.

Then, please go to the Windows Update website to test if the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation issue continues. If the problem persists, please help me collect the following information:

Send the product ID in the registry key

=============================

1. Click on Start and then Run. Type regedit and click OK

2. Navigate to the following registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\

Please locate the ProductId in the right panel and send me the value of the Product Id.

Thank you for your cooperation. Once I obtain the information, I will perform further research and get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you for your time and cooperation.

Best Regards,

Nick Wang

Microsoft Windows Update Support Professional

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, September 17, 2007 2:57 AM

Answers

• Sharon K,

What was the Operating System on the computer before you installed XP Home upgrade?

Monday, September 17, 2007 6:04 PM
  • Microsoft Windows 98.

Monday, September 17, 2007 6:25 PM
  • Sharon K,

If the MS tech support folks do not provide a better alternative, I would suggest that you back up your valuable data then remove it from this particular computer.  Then, follow the instructions for your model of Compaq and do a destructive recovery using the CDs and/or recovery partition supplied by Compaq.  Once the destructive recovery back to W98 is complete, insert the XP Home upgrade CD and perform the upgrade to XP Home.  After that is complete, visit Windows Updates and continue to apply updates until WU tells you there are no more updates.

At that point your computer should be working fine.  Then you can reinstall your programs and finally restore your data to the computer.

Occasionally the upgrade process from W98 to XP does not go well and leaves the computer suffering from all sorts of strange problems.  In such case, although it's a lot of work, it's better to start from scratch.

Good Luck!

Monday, September 17, 2007 9:01 PM
  • Thank you very much for your replys, but!

I do not believe this to be an acceptable answer to my problem.

I own geuine Microsoft products, and upgraded with geuine Microsoft.

I should not have to take the machine back down to destructive recovery level.

Thank you,

Sharon K

Monday, September 17, 2007 11:04 PM
  • Hello Sharon,

I understand how you feel. Currently it sounds like something has gone arai either before or after the XP Upgrad process. The best practice is what Dan explained. Very time consuming but will save time both now and after. 

Sharon I have researched some information and would like to share with you. The following knowledge article (KB) provides step by step upgrade information. Also there is more information. Did you upgrade your BIOS prior the installation. Please read the KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941/en-us

At this point it would be best to back all of your critical data and start fresh. Please post back if you need further assistance. 

Thank you very much.

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 12:50 AM
  • Sharon K,

I don't know if this will help with the PID unknown problem, but this MS KB should help address the 0x643 error message:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100/

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 3:40 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply.  The above information was helpful in solving the 0x643 error. I had two versions of

.Net framework installed, and from what I understand only one version should be installed.  The update was for version 1.0 and seemed to be failing because version 1.1 was also installed.

Now back to the Validation Status: PID is invalid error and my question "Shouldn't there be some way to insert my Product ID into my register file?"  The Microsoft Tech wanted me to find my ProductId in the location below and I did not have any data in it.  So I copied my ProductId from my register location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\

into the location:

and was succesful with Windows Validation!

Of course I may still need to do a complete reload at some time, but this seemed to work.

Thank you,

Sharon

Part of my message from Microsoft below:

Please locate the ProductId in the right panel and send me the value of the Product Id.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 1:28 PM

All replies

• Sharon K,

What was the Operating System on the computer before you installed XP Home upgrade?

Monday, September 17, 2007 6:04 PM
  • Microsoft Windows 98.

Monday, September 17, 2007 6:25 PM
  • Sharon K,

If the MS tech support folks do not provide a better alternative, I would suggest that you back up your valuable data then remove it from this particular computer.  Then, follow the instructions for your model of Compaq and do a destructive recovery using the CDs and/or recovery partition supplied by Compaq.  Once the destructive recovery back to W98 is complete, insert the XP Home upgrade CD and perform the upgrade to XP Home.  After that is complete, visit Windows Updates and continue to apply updates until WU tells you there are no more updates.

At that point your computer should be working fine.  Then you can reinstall your programs and finally restore your data to the computer.

Occasionally the upgrade process from W98 to XP does not go well and leaves the computer suffering from all sorts of strange problems.  In such case, although it's a lot of work, it's better to start from scratch.

Good Luck!

Monday, September 17, 2007 9:01 PM
  • Thank you very much for your replys, but!

I do not believe this to be an acceptable answer to my problem.

I own geuine Microsoft products, and upgraded with geuine Microsoft.

I should not have to take the machine back down to destructive recovery level.

Thank you,

Sharon K

Monday, September 17, 2007 11:04 PM
  • Hello Sharon,

I understand how you feel. Currently it sounds like something has gone arai either before or after the XP Upgrad process. The best practice is what Dan explained. Very time consuming but will save time both now and after. 

Sharon I have researched some information and would like to share with you. The following knowledge article (KB) provides step by step upgrade information. Also there is more information. Did you upgrade your BIOS prior the installation. Please read the KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941/en-us

At this point it would be best to back all of your critical data and start fresh. Please post back if you need further assistance. 

Thank you very much.

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 12:50 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Since I am getting a Validation Status: PID is invalid  error shouldn't there be some way to insert my Product ID into my register file?

My Windows 98 has been stable for years, the upgrade went well without any errors, and I have the latest bios for my Compaq computer.  I read the article you suggested and I followed all the proper steps when upgrading.

Is there something else to try?

Thank you,

Sharon

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 1:39 AM
  • Sharon K,

I don't know if this will help with the PID unknown problem, but this MS KB should help address the 0x643 error message:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100/

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 3:40 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply.  The above information was helpful in solving the 0x643 error. I had two versions of

.Net framework installed, and from what I understand only one version should be installed.  The update was for version 1.0 and seemed to be failing because version 1.1 was also installed.

Now back to the Validation Status: PID is invalid error and my question "Shouldn't there be some way to insert my Product ID into my register file?"  The Microsoft Tech wanted me to find my ProductId in the location below and I did not have any data in it.  So I copied my ProductId from my register location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\

into the location:

and was succesful with Windows Validation!

Of course I may still need to do a complete reload at some time, but this seemed to work.

Thank you,

Sharon

Part of my message from Microsoft below:

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 1:28 PM
  • Sharon,

The best plan @ this point would be a fresh installation. Unfortunately you have experienced a few problems.  Also there my have been pre-existing complications such as corrupt files etc previously. If you complete a fresh install now this may circumvent existing problems as well as future problems. 

Thank you Sharon,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 4:44 PM