Microsoft says my XP not genuine RRS feed

• Question

• My computer wa repaired 3 years ago and upgraded to Windows XP. Now microsoft says XP not genuine. My computer refuses to boot. I can't format because of bad clusters. I am stuck. What can I do?
    Sunday, August 27, 2006 6:50 PM

Answers

• ladydeeh,

I'm sorry that you are having issues.  I have reviewed your posts and have a suggestion for you to try.  To do this, you will need to start the computer that is experiencing the problem via the Windows XP Recovery Console.  To start your computer using the recovery console, follow these steps:

1) Insert the original release version of Microsoft Windows XP Tablet Edition CD in your computer's CD or DVD drive.

2) Restart your computer.

3) When the 'Press any key to boot from CD' message appears, press any key.  This will start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

4) When the 'Welcome to Setup' screen is displayed, press R to start the Recovery Console.

5) When you are prompted, type the number that corresponds to the installation of Windows that you want to access from the Recovery Console and press ENTER.  For example, if you have one installation of Windows on the computer, type 1 and then press ENTER.

6) When you are prompted, type the Administrator password and press ENTER.

7) At the command prompt in the Recovery Console, you will need to CD (change directory) to the windows\system32 directory.

8) You will want to rename wgalogon.dll to something else (wgalogon.old).  You can do this by typing ren wgalogon.dll wgalogon.old.

Once you have completed these steps, exit the recovery console, remove the Windows XP CD from the CD/DVD drive and reboot normally.

Can you tell me did this resolve your issue?

Monday, August 28, 2006 12:45 PM