How i downgrade windows vista OEM to windows XP oem? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to downgrade windows vista oem to windows XP. How i can to do it?
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 10:35 AM

Answers

• Hello,

This forum is for validation issues only, so we don't have the information you need.  Please contact Product Support Services for your installation issue.  I believe you're still in your free 90 days of support period.  Thank you!

Saturday, March 31, 2007 1:35 AM
  • Because this validation forum is dedicated to validation issues you'll have to ask your OEM about this. Thanks!
    Saturday, June 2, 2007 3:26 AM

All replies

• If it's an OEM version you have to buy Windows XP, format the hard disk, lose any bundled software including drivers, and install Windows. However, you have to backup your hard disk and after the downgrade you have to manually install the drivers. So you can't downgrade using another option.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:01 PM
  • This is the message that I get when try to install XP on Gateway Notebook w/Vista Home Premium on it.

I need to know if you can tell me How I can do this installation?

Friday, March 30, 2007 10:52 PM
  • Hello,

This forum is for validation issues only, so we don't have the information you need.  Please contact Product Support Services for your installation issue.  I believe you're still in your free 90 days of support period.  Thank you!

Saturday, March 31, 2007 1:35 AM
  • Quote from MS Volume Licensing Downgrade Rights Jan 2007:

"Rights to OEM versions of systems software are granted in the OEM License Terms. The OEM License Terms for most OEM versions of systems software do not grant downgrade rights. The exception is the OEM License Terms for the Windows® XP Professional operating system and the Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate operating systems, which grant downgrade rights. "

OEM Windows Vista Business has downgrade rights, why must I BUY Win XP?  However, how can I get the media and key to re-install Win XP on my computer having Win Vista Business?

Friday, June 1, 2007 3:55 AM
  • Because this validation forum is dedicated to validation issues you'll have to ask your OEM about this. Thanks!
    Saturday, June 2, 2007 3:26 AM
  • i have a gateway computer that have windows vista ,and iam tryin to take vista off my computer and put windows xp on it ,but every time i try to install xp it all ways tell me that the windows on my computer is newer then the windows on the CD. and i think i have another hard time tryin to get windows vista off because it came with my computer

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 8:27 PM
  • In order to install Windows XP, you would have
    to purchase a conventional "full version" of Windows XP
    and perform a "clean install".

You must delete all partitions, create a new partition,
    then format the new partition.  Here are the instructions:

Clean Install Windows XP
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Bear in mind that removing the preinstalled version
    of Windows Vista from the new computer will likely
    void any future technical or warranty service offered
    by the computer manufacturer.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 8:32 PM
  • what if the oem vista was purchased separately from the computer?

Monday, October 29, 2007 7:17 AM
  • Yes, if you own Vista Business OEM, you can install Windows XP Professional.  Reference: download.microsoft.com/download/d/2/3/d23b9533-169d-4996-b198-7b9d3fe15611/downgrade_chart.doc

You will need Windows XP Professional installation CD, anything you can scrounge up will do.  Next, use any XP Pro product instalation key you can find to install the OS software.  When / if you need to go through product activation, try internet activation.  If that fails, use the telephone option, and "zero out" to speak with a Microsoft representative.  Tell them you are downgrading Vista, and they will get you activated and on your way.

Cheers!

JA
    Friday, November 16, 2007 4:16 PM
  •  

I have tried all mean to downgrade vista to XP window, but all to no avail. what can I do?

I have formatted the viast, but still, I coun't load an XP on it.

I need your help free on charge.

Thanks

Monday, March 17, 2008 12:11 PM
  •  mykelwale wrote:

I have tried all mean to downgrade vista to XP window, but all to no avail. what can I do?

I have formatted the viast, but still, I coun't load an XP on it.

I need your help free on charge.

Thanks

Clean Install Windows XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Monday, March 17, 2008 1:00 PM
  • Wrong Awser:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/f/4/5f4c83d3-833e-4f11-8cbd-699b0c164182/royaltyoemreferencesheet.pdf

If you are downgrading from Windows Vista to XP if you have a Volume License Key you can Downgrade Vista OEM to XP OEM or Volume License as stated in the Document Above the Rulkes Changed:

Q. Where do customers get the CD to install

the downgrade software

A. End users must use a legally licensed version

of the specifi ed previous version of the Windows

desktop operating system to install the

downgrade software. The downgrade software

may be from

volume licensing channels.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 5:53 PM