none
Outlook 2013 crashes when adding an attachment from a network drive

Question

• This just started to happen on one pc using Outlook 2013.  Whenever I try to attach a file that is located an a mapped drive to an email message, Outlook 2013 shows "downloading file" but it never completes.  This happens regardless of the size of the attachment.  If I copy the file to my c: drive, it attaches fine, but I just can't get Outlook to attach the file from the mapped drive, where the files are stored.  Everything was working fine until our DNS servers were changed by our ISP.  I can't see how this should affect Outlook, but it seems to have.  I also had a problem accessing the mapped NAS drive and had to delete the mapping, and remap the drive.  I can view files on that drive, and as far as I can tell the drive is functioning normally.  This is the only PC that runs Outlook, everyone else uses webmail.  When I tried webmail on this PC attaching files from the same mapped drive works perfectly.  Everything I see on Technet relates to older versions of Outlook, but my problem is with Outlook 2013, as part of Office 2013, home and small business.  

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Monday, May 4, 2015 5:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• If this were me, I would try flushing the DNS cache (ipconfig /flushdns) from an administrator-level command prompt, and if that didn't work, I might try remapping the offending drives, as you mentioned for your NAS.

If those don't work, could you answer these questions?

I am curious to know if other Office apps, like Word, are having trouble opening files from these mapped drives or saving to them.

Additionally, what steps are you taking to create this attachment? Are you using "Message (or Insert) | Attach File" and browsing to the mapped drive, or do you have a Windows Explorer window open at the mapped drive and drag and drop (or copy/paste) the file either to the Outlook attachment well or message body?

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 5:46 PM
  • Thank you for the response.  I didn't try flushing the DNS, but I did delete the mapped drive and then I remapped it.  The files in question are photos between 250k and 1mb.  I didn't try opening a picture in Word, but I'm able to use Microsoft Picture manager to display the pictures.  To attach the pics, I either open a new message or reply to an existing one, I then click the paper clip, then navigate to the mapped drive (Z:) and select a folder and then locate a file and select "Insert".  Outlook then tells me "downloading" and sits there until I cancel the task.  

I'm off today and tomorrow, but on Thursday I will first try flush the dns, then I'll try to open a picture file in Word, and I will let you know the results.  

Thank you again for your response...

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 6:19 PM
  • Hello,

The TechNet Sandbox forum is designed for users to try out the new forums functionality. Please be respectful of others, and do not expect replies to questions asked here.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the Where is the forum for... forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 7:17 PM
  • Might also try them over here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-outlook?sort=lastreplydate&dir=desc&tab=Threads&status=&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&threadType=All&tm=1430871070258

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 12:11 AM
  • Update:
    I was able to attach the same file in Word that I wasn't able to attach to an email in Outlook.  This is not an individual file issue, as it happens with all files that I attempt to attach from a mapped network drive.  When I attempt to attach the file, a dialog box open in Outlook that says: Downloading <Z:\foldername\filename.  This time I waited almost ten minutes until Outlook responded with: someone else is working in Z:\foldername\filename right now.  Please try again later.  This happens regardless of the file I choose, and I know that no one else is working on that file.  This only happens in Outlook.  I am able to attach the same file using webmail, so the problem is only with Outlook.  Oh, and I flushed the DNS, but still have the problem.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2015 12:41 PM
  • If you think it is OS related then I'd ask over here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 14, 2015 12:33 AM