Vista w/Windows Live Onecare tuneup fails to complete defragging "C" RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Vista w/ Windows Live One Care 2.0.2500.22

Problem: WLOC Tuneup fails to complete defragging "C".

MSG: WLOC Tuneup report = Tuneup failed "Because of high levels of fragmentation." "Drive could not be defragmented"

The cpu activity during defrag varied between 10% - 60% and only activities running were items in the start list.

The "C" drive is at 35% of 103 GB.

I manually defragged by command 10 times in a row with no indication of a problem. I next ran tuneup and it failed again.

I ran chkdsk /r and it found 44 reparse records, 5 unindexed records and no bad files.  Tuneup failed again.

My new Vista laptop is much slower to boot (2+ minutes) than my old XP desktop which has a faster cpu.

Suggestions?

Bob I S

Monday, February 4, 2008 4:37 AM

Answers

• I would personally ignore the issue of Tune-up reporting that defrag did not complete as it is not critical to the PCs performance. If OneCare is in green status, all is well with OneCare's protection.

On the other hand, a long boot process indicates a possible problem with services and programs loading at startup. You may want to review what programs are being started and eliminate those that you don't need.

If you need help with this, please contact OneCare support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Monday, February 4, 2008 3:46 PM