0X800CCC0F Error when accessing email thru Outlook (or Thunderbird) RRS feed

• Question

• I've read several posts that suggest options to fix this and none have worked.  Everything was working fine until about 3 weeks ago and no mail received since then. I have been running OneCare for a couple of months so this issue started several weeks after installing.

The problem occurs with OneCare installed and uninstalled, firewall turned on and off.

I have created a new Outlook profile based on various Microsoft KB articles - no solution.

I have tried a different email client (Thunderbird) - same issue.

I have dual-booted into linux where the connection does work and I can send and receive, so I am assuming the issue is not with my settings, my ISP or my router.

Some posts have indicated that a recent update to OneCare inserted Digital ID's that were causing the problem with the Windows mail email client.  I have not found one under Outlook but I may not know what I'm looking for.

Appreciate any help!

Charles

Vista Home Premium sp1

Outlook 2003

OneCare 2.5.2900.20

Firewall policy 1.2.32.119

Virus version: 1.49.33.0

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 11:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Charles, I don't know if this is a One Care issue. Have you looked at this KB article - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813514  ?

Can you send and receive mail using Windows Mail?

Thursday, December 4, 2008 2:47 AM
  • Thanks for the response JimR1

Yes I did see this KB article and several others.  Outlook was sending/receiving just fine prior to about 3 weeks ago.  I have set up many email clients over the years so I'm pretty confident in my settings.

I did try Windows Mail and still see the problem:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com', Server: 'plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Note that I get this error immediately...not after any delay or time-out interval.  I have also set my outlook server time-out settings up to like 5 minutes just to see if this solved anything but again this error comes back immediately in all email clients.

The only thing in common across all of the applications is that they are running from within Windows.  When i set up my email client in Linux I can send and receive normally - but i don't want that to be my regular email client...yet!

I realize that OneCare may not be the issue but all posts with suggested solutions point to either email virus scans or firewall settings - both are under OneCare control so this seemed the best approach.

Thursday, December 4, 2008 5:58 AM
  • Did you try opening port 995 in the advanced settings of the firewall? The best solution might be to contact support. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Thursday, December 4, 2008 12:28 PM
  • I agree with Jim that I do not believe this to be a OneCare issue, particularly since you encounter the problem with the firewall and virus protection off. However, working with OneCare support seems like a good starting point if you don't want to actually uninstall OneCare to see if the problem remains - which would rule out OneCare as the cause with 99.9% certainty.

-steve

Thursday, December 4, 2008 4:18 PM
  • The fact that completely removing OneCare still doesn't fix the problem makes it unlikely that it is involved. You should concentrate on the email client and server in use and look for support from your ISP.

Here an article specifically related to what you are trying to resolve from Yahoo, who's email server you're trying to connect to.

POP Yahoo! Mail Plus with Microsoft Outlook Express

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/mailplus/pop/pop-08.html

The other common potential issue is if some portion of a previous antivirus email scanner is still present, since OneCare itself doesn't have one. If you removed another antivirus suite to install OneCare and never ran its clean-up or removal tool, that would be a good idea to try.

The quick disconnect you are receiving does indicate that something is blocking, but turning off the OneCare firewall would normally bypass this issue, so most likely you have something else interacting if the configuration itself is correct.

I also found the following discussion which seems to indicate that Yahoo Support is suggesting a different configuration than their own Web Support site.

Trying to setup Windows Mail to Yahoo Plus POP3 account for first time

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-mail/135184-trying-setup-windows-mail-yahoo-plus-pop3-account-first-time.html

OneCareBear

Thursday, December 4, 2008 4:26 PM
  • I want to echo what the original poster stated. I just installed OneCare and immediately got the 0x800CCC0F error when trying to access my yahoo e-mail account. I had the identical problem several months ago when I installed OneCare on another computer. Both computers are running Vista. This is absolutely a OneCare issue. My guess is that OneCare permanantly changes the Windows fire wall in some way that prevents yahoo mail from being accessed via POP. Interestingly gmail is unaffected even though it uses the same ports and has the identical setup as yahoo. I suspect some kind of blacklisting of yahoo e-mail accounts by OneCare.

For now I will continue searching for a solution to this problem with Google. If I find a solution, I will post it here.

-Mark
    Friday, February 13, 2009 1:39 AM
  • GrangerFX2 said:

I want to echo what the original poster stated. I just installed OneCare and immediately got the 0x800CCC0F error when trying to access my yahoo e-mail account. I had the identical problem several months ago when I installed OneCare on another computer. Both computers are running Vista. This is absolutely a OneCare issue. My guess is that OneCare permanantly changes the Windows fire wall in some way that prevents yahoo mail from being accessed via POP. Interestingly gmail is unaffected even though it uses the same ports and has the identical setup as yahoo. I suspect some kind of blacklisting of yahoo e-mail accounts by OneCare.

For now I will continue searching for a solution to this problem with Google. If I find a solution, I will post it here.

-Mark

I can pretty much guarantee that there is no blacklisting of Yahoo email accounts in the OneCare firewall. However, if Yahoo POP/SMTP uses non-standard ports, they will need to be opened in the OneCare firewall.

The other possible reasons for the error with OneCare are outlined in previous answers on this thread.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Friday, February 13, 2009 4:47 PM
  • Yep absolutely one care issue.

Installed thunderbird update, opened thunderbird, dialog box came up to accept it connecting to the net, did not think much about it and click blocked. Now there's no way to un-do that action. When I disable onecare firewall, it works fine, when I re-enable it, can't connect to my IMAP server. Also, I've changed the config in onecare - completely deleted all entried in the program list, restarted all services, nothing. Doesn't work. Somehow the block must be stuck in a regkey or ini file somewhere. Have been browsing the registry and ini files, nothing so far. Very annoying. Also, when I now go into onecare and click change settings it simply doesn't do anything. Some other links works fine. Looks like a bug.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 7:31 AM
  • Rebooting fixed in in my case. Thunderbird re-requested access (yay!) and now I can open the config again. I am not sure what error I got in Thunderbird (it just reported being unable to connect). One way to test it is by using the preview pane (F8) and setting it to a webpage on startup (if not done so already) in the config. It won't work either if a firewall is blocking it.

Looks like the firewall config page is part of C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\WinSSUI.exe the same interface as the main Onecare panel. There must be some startup option to use on this to get just the firewall config panel - would be good to google on if you run into this...
    Friday, August 21, 2009 7:59 AM
  • Roel1, based on your description of the events, it sounds like your basic problem was the inability to open OneCare to change the settings to remove the block. Since the reboot fixed that, it is hard to say why it happened, but your first post describes exactly what should happen when an unrecognized program requests access and you block it - up until the point where you realized you wanted to undo that action and try again.
    There is no option to access just the block/allow list without opening OneCare's main interface.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, August 21, 2009 12:24 PM
  • > it sounds like your basic problem was the inability to open OneCare to change the settings to remove the block.

No that is not the case.

I had already remove all blocks, and when re-opening Thunderbird it did not ask to re-authorize again untill I rebooted.

When I rebooted I also *did not* remove any blocks but simply opened Thunderbird and it asked to re-authorized.

> - up until the point where you realized you wanted to undo that action and try again.

As far as I remember, thunderbird was *not* showing in the blocked list.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 10:19 PM
  • Ah! I found one reason/issue:

I had windows terminal services disabled. When this is disabled - for instance on XP - Onecare main window fails to open/start properly.

There should be a dependency for the OneCare service (if terminal services service is not started then OneCare service should not start either).

For anyone having issues: start > run > services.msc > check that Windows terminal services is started. OneCare does seem to work on Vista without having this enabled. Odd.
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 2:55 AM
  • Thanks for the clarifications and additional information. Glad you found the cause.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 11:30 PM