MSMoney.exe process keeps running on Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

A strange one. I'm running US Money Deluxe Sunset on Win10 Pro x64 (1511, fully patched). Once I close MS Money I notice that msmoney.exe is still running in the background (taskman), and if I choose to log off I get a warning that Money is still running. After several minutes, the process ends. Not seconds, minutes. I didn't have this problem with Win 8.1 Pro.

Any one else? Or just me.... ;-)

Jim

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 4:59 PM

Answers

• Nobody has posted what effect putting a Windows firewall block in place would have with that symptom. You might put in such a block and let us know if it helped: https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2016/06/06/eliminating-the-online-updatingdelays-and-errors-when-opening-money/

At least it will speed the program start, but I have hope that it could do more.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 1:39 PM
  • I proposed the use of a firewall rule to stop Money from running after it had been closed in my earlier post of March 2016 where I said:

"You can test if your "money is already running error" is due to msmoney.exe hanging while trying to connect to the internet by temporarily disabling your internet connection in the Network & Sharing Centre. If the error stops when you are completely offline then you know that this is the problem and can go onto the next step which is to use Windows Firewall to just block msmoney.exe from the internet. First you have to go to the view tab of Folder Options to set the option to "show hidden folders.." and also untick "hide protected system files". This is so you will be able to browse to see msmoney.exe which can be found at C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Money 2005/MNY Core Files/msmoney.exe. Then read http://www.howtogeek.com/227093/how-to-block-an-application-from-accessing-the-internet-with-windows-firewall/ for a description of how to set up a rule in Windows Firewall to block just one program, msmoney.exe, from the internet."

Blocking Money from the internet by using a firewall rule cured two problems for me on the UK version of Money on Windows 10 : (1) Now when I close the Money program it closes properly and can be reopened instantly. (2) I can download bank statements and import them into Microsoft Money while the program is running whereas previously this was failing.

I am pleased others are finding this to be a useful fix for similar problems.

Monday, July 11, 2016 10:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Jim

I've had this pretty persistently with Win10 and maybe before. If I close Money and then attempt a restart I get the msg 'MSMoney is still running'. In addition, after closing I occasionally get an even more exciting message 'Money Error Reporting has stopped working' before Money spontaneously restarts itself. I have noticed that file 'Money.lrd' is open whilst Money is running (it's apparently a temporary lock file stopping one from opening the database twice) and disappears shortly after closing so I am guessing that Money is doing some housekeeping in the background. I keep many backups!

Dr AS

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 10:46 AM
  • Nobody has posted what effect putting a Windows firewall block in place would have with that symptom. You might put in such a block and let us know if it helped: https://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/2016/06/06/eliminating-the-online-updatingdelays-and-errors-when-opening-money/

At least it will speed the program start, but I have hope that it could do more.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 1:39 PM
  • Thanks Cal :-) Adding that rule made no difference to startup time BUT does seem to cure the slow shutdown time. Result :-)
    Wednesday, July 6, 2016 2:57 PM
  • I proposed the use of a firewall rule to stop Money from running after it had been closed in my earlier post of March 2016 where I said:

"You can test if your "money is already running error" is due to msmoney.exe hanging while trying to connect to the internet by temporarily disabling your internet connection in the Network & Sharing Centre. If the error stops when you are completely offline then you know that this is the problem and can go onto the next step which is to use Windows Firewall to just block msmoney.exe from the internet. First you have to go to the view tab of Folder Options to set the option to "show hidden folders.." and also untick "hide protected system files". This is so you will be able to browse to see msmoney.exe which can be found at C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Money 2005/MNY Core Files/msmoney.exe. Then read http://www.howtogeek.com/227093/how-to-block-an-application-from-accessing-the-internet-with-windows-firewall/ for a description of how to set up a rule in Windows Firewall to block just one program, msmoney.exe, from the internet."

Blocking Money from the internet by using a firewall rule cured two problems for me on the UK version of Money on Windows 10 : (1) Now when I close the Money program it closes properly and can be reopened instantly. (2) I can download bank statements and import them into Microsoft Money while the program is running whereas previously this was failing.

I am pleased others are finding this to be a useful fix for similar problems.

Monday, July 11, 2016 10:10 PM