Danger in first use of 2.1? RRS feed

• Question

• I've used earlier versions synching files from my data hard drive to DropBox and other locations with Win Vista. I've now upgraded to Win 7 and MS is warning of dangers of first use of SyncToy 2.1 where earlier versions have been used. There are still SyncToy files in my data folders in my second harddrive that were created with the old SyncToy version. What should I do to avoid problems in upgrading to ST 2.1?
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:25 PM

Answers

• As You have had your OS upgraded, if your SyncToy 2.0 's application data files(%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0\) is still available, restore them, then you can run sync for all folder pairs before you updgrade to SyncToy 2.1. This action will keep your folders be fully synced. Even your SyncToy 2.0 is not available, you can just install SyncToy 2.1, your folder pairs and syncing info also could be kept. That is not a danger to use upgraded  SyncToy 2.1 from SyncToy 2.0 .

But if the SyncToy 's application data files lost, you need to re-create all of those folder pairs. So the suggestion is you'd better backup your user local application data(%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0\SyncToyDirPairs.bin) for SyncToy before you do either OS upgrade or SyncToy upgrade.

Thanks,
    Ping 
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, March 15, 2010 6:24 AM