Users can't log on to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed WHS several times and have a problem with users not logging on. User name and password is correct.
    This is what comes up: Your password does not meet the password policy for Windows Home Server user accounts. Either choose a different password or ask your home network administrator to change the password policy.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:35 PM

All replies

• If the user has a password, which does not meet the complexity standards (necessary for users with Remote Access enabled, minimum length, large cap chars, small cap chars, numbers or special chars - 3 of these 4 categories required), this could be the reason.
    To test, if this is the reason, you could change the password in the console and have a matching password on the client - or remove the Remote Access capability of the user account in the console.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:56 PM
  • This has been tried: does'nt work.
    The firewall is turned off and I have the policy set to Medium.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:30 PM
  • What happens, if you create a new user account on one client and on the server and login with that account on the client?
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:55 PM
  • I have fixed the problem by a New install of WHS. The only thing that I can narrow down is that the router was not allowing a passing thou port settings 80,443 339. So I have now fixed this problem.

I do have a question for anyone out there. Is there any way to block a hard drive from being Formated. When I added the drive in storage. It wipped out the whole hard drive formated in four partions. Not a good Thing:
    Friday, November 13, 2009 3:23 PM
  • The ports are only necessary for Remote Access from the Internet to your home server.
    The only ways to block drives from being formatted are performing a server reinstall (instead of a new installation), which will keep the data intact, or disconnecting the disks from the PC physically by pulling the data cable, which requires to manually get back data as outlined in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

Olaf
    Friday, November 13, 2009 3:52 PM
    I do have a question for anyone out there. Is there any way to block a hard drive from being Formated. When I added the drive in storage. It wipped out the whole hard drive formated in four partions. Not a good Thing:
    No. When you add a drive to the storage pool, you are giving Windows Home Server complete control of the drive. And when you do this, Windows Home Server warns you (more than once) that the drive will be formatted, and requires you to acknowledge that you will lose any data on the disk. You are given similar warnings when you install the product.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 13, 2009 5:09 PM
  • Yes this was my falt that I formatted the drives as I mixed up the last numbers. One is 3333, and one is 5333. I only looked at the last three numbers. Getting all the data back is time consuming. As they are 1T drives.

So what it looks like is even a Hot swap a drive that is added into the pool will be re-formatted.
    What would be the best way to back-up a sever. A complete back-up or a Image back up? As I have Image programs.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:16 PM
  • Windows Home Server includes backup functionality for the server's shares. You can connect a drive, but instead of adding it to the storage pool configure it as a backup drive. Then you can back one or more shares to this drive whenever you like. You'll find more information about this in the Windows Home Server Console help file, under the topic "Home Server Backup".

There is no other supported way of backing up your server. Most backup software will not back up the shares successfully, and if you decide to image your server, you will need to image every drive at the same time, while the server isn't running. Otherwise attempting to restore may result in a variety of issues.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:35 PM