Windows XP Professional Validation problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP Compact that came with Windows XP.  Early last year I had some work done by a local person who does work for other people I know.  When the Validation came along..I failed.

I found that I now have Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 ( along with a couple of other people) that this person put on our computers with "pirated" licenses.

I want to know how or if I could revert back to my original Windows XP.  I don't have a disc because that program should be on the partitioned Disc on my computer. If this is possible is it a complicated process?  Will I lose data?

I really need some help.

Thanks

Thursday, March 15, 2007 6:08 PM

Answers

• Tinkerdixiebell,

If the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) on the computer says that it came with XP Pro, you may be able to "genuine-ize" your XP installation by using the Product Key on the COA and the Product Key Updater utility:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx

If the COA on the computer says it came with XP Home/Media Center/Tablet Ed, the differences between those three and Pro require that you do a clean installation of XP Home/Media Center/Tablet Ed to put genuine XP back onto the computer.  Typically, the Recovery utility provided by computer manufacturers totally destroys all user data on the hard disk drive, so back up and offload your data first.  Visit the support pages for your exact make and model of computer to learn more about how your computer's Recovery process works.

Quite often inexperienced "repairmen" and "computer guys" will make the big mistake of deleting the recovery partition provided by the manufacturer when they install pirated copies of XP.  This forces you to go back to HP or other manufacturer to purchase replacement recovery CDs, assuming such are still available.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 6:20 PM