Online Photo Backup Invitation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have just received an invitation with a token key to activate the Online Photo Backup in OneCare. I am currently running version 2.0.2350.10

. Instructions tell me to go to the Backup tab and click subscribe to OneCare online photo backup. There is only a link for more information that tells me to goto configure backup and then select the Automatically back up photos from this PC check box.

Unfortunately, this option is also not available. As anybody had this problem with a genuine token key invite. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks 

Saturday, September 22, 2007 9:45 PM

Answers

•  LancerB wrote:

Just found this link:

http://get.live.com/en-us/onecare/activate_backup

CONFUSED

Is this "Photo Backup"?

This link requires you to create a new ID but suggests not to bother unless you have received a key to activate Online Backup. I already have an ID and have received a key via email so how do I skip new ID creation?

How does one get a key in the first place without an ID??

The circle of life!

Try signing in with your LiveID at http://www.live.com and then navigate to the above activation URL. The upper right should show that you are already signed in.

Before you proceed, I wonder, though, is OneCare 2.0 beta activated already with a beta key? If not, I don't know if you can activate the photo backup.

In any event, note that the email invite for photo backup instructs you to email ocbeta@microsoft.com if you have any problems with the Online Photo Backup.

-steve

Sunday, September 23, 2007 3:20 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately I get the same thing.  Maybe its related to the problem with international users not being able to register the software?

Sunday, September 23, 2007 12:15 AM
  • Same here, LancerB. There's nothing there for "Subscribe to One Care Online Photo Backup." I keep getting sent around and around and around . . . ad nauseum. Same as you've been.

Maybe this is an alpha? :

Sunday, September 23, 2007 3:01 AM
  •  

just to make sure that this problem gets more attention I'd like to step in and say that I also got an invitation but also can not follow the instructions due to the missing link in the OneCare UI.
    Sunday, September 23, 2007 7:43 AM
  • Just found this link:

CONFUSED

Is this "Photo Backup"?

This link requires you to create a new ID but suggests not to bother unless you have received a key to activate Online Backup. I already have an ID and have received a key via email so how do I skip new ID creation?

The circle of life!

Sunday, September 23, 2007 9:09 AM
  •  

I just tried that URL and you can read here http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2178792&SiteID=2 what happend ...

- Jens

Sunday, September 23, 2007 1:56 PM
  •  LancerB wrote:

Just found this link:

CONFUSED

Is this "Photo Backup"?

The circle of life!

Try signing in with your LiveID at http://www.live.com and then navigate to the above activation URL. The upper right should show that you are already signed in.

Before you proceed, I wonder, though, is OneCare 2.0 beta activated already with a beta key? If not, I don't know if you can activate the photo backup.

In any event, note that the email invite for photo backup instructs you to email ocbeta@microsoft.com if you have any problems with the Online Photo Backup.

-steve

Sunday, September 23, 2007 3:20 PM
  • Thanks Steve,

Partial success at least. I have managed to confirm an activation of Online Photo Backup which now appears in my billing account. Nothing like the instructions sent in my invitation but the first part of your solution has moved me forward.

However, the service is still not available for me to use in OneCare, probably confirming your next statement regarding the beta key. I am still testing OneCare with 155+ days left before subscription needed. Seems odd that I would be invited to beta test and feedback a feature of something that I am unable to run.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 6:40 PM
  • Don't know if this is of any use but I received the invitation as well and had trouble logging in.

The webpage that presented itself to me gave 2 options - If you already have a live mail account click a link or create one. Having a live account I clicked on the appropriate link to be brought back to the same web page. This happened 3 times before it would accept me (obviously knows me well lol).

After that all was a breeze, there was no prompt to kick start the backup, onecare does that for you and like it says yes it does take several hours!

Tom

Sunday, September 23, 2007 6:58 PM
  • Hi Tom,

Glad to see somebody has finally had some success. I have managed to activate the service but it still doesn't appear in my OneCare as an option. Could you tell me, are you a current subscriber to the OneCare service or an unsubscribed beta tester?

-Lance 

Sunday, September 23, 2007 7:15 PM
  •  LancerB wrote:

Hi Tom,

Glad to see somebody has finally had some success. I have managed to activate the service but it still doesn't appear in my OneCare as an option. Could you tell me, are you a current subscriber to the OneCare service or an unsubscribed beta tester?

-Lance 

I'm a beta 2.0 tester.

If you click on change settings>backup you should/might/could see 2 options.

• backup settings
    • Onecare online backup

If you can see this click on the configure backup button and you should/might/could see your pc back up plan (or if its the hub pc all the plans for the circle). At the bottom of this screen you will see OneCare online backup and a tick box for allowing online back up.

Alternatively Pass!

Tom

Sunday, September 23, 2007 7:23 PM
  • I have no idea how I did it, but I bumbled and stumbled around, and it seems I now have some pictures backed up online. Whew!

However! There is such a mish-mash of junk backed up, that it's amazing. It even backed up screenies I tood for filing bugs on various applications! This isn't something I'd enjoy at all. Further, it's not intuitive to get to the online photo backup, but I clicked around and finally found out how to get there without going through change settings . . .

Just in case anyone else is having as hard a time as I am, just double click on the computer you want to check online backups for. And follow the yellow brick road.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 8:06 PM
  • Glad to read that there was some success. Nancy, it backs up *all* pictures by default - so, yes, that would be a mish-mash indeed.

Since so many had trouble getting this set up, I do hope that some of you will file bugs on Connect about the setup experience and also answer the survey.

-steve

Monday, September 24, 2007 6:12 PM
  • It does give you the option to exclude photos which you do not want to back up. I removed all system folders (though I do not know why system folders should be considered for backing up user photos!) and in all reduced around 1000 photos.

I have not seen a direct way to access the online backup and can I go to a location to access the backed up photos. Maybe I will try to look this up more tonight.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 5:51 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:
     LancerB wrote:

Just found this link:

CONFUSED

Is this "Photo Backup"?

The circle of life!

-steve

I could not find the option to activate Photo Backup in the Dutch version of Live Onecare Beta 2.0 and tried this link: http://get.live.com/en-us/onecare/activate_backup. After several tries I finally was asked for the token. After a few minutes I received an email confirmation that said "This mail is confirmation that you successfully activated Windows Live OneCare Online Backup Beta on Tuesday, September 25, 2007. Here are the details..." but now my license for Live Onecare Beta is no longer valid and I cannot use it anymore.

What should I do now?
    Tuesday, September 25, 2007 9:50 PM
  • Hello, Sander.  Please file a bug on Connect.

https://connect.microsoft.com/site/sitehome.aspx?SiteID=168

See the Bug Submission Guide - http://connect.microsoft.com/content/content.aspx?ContentID=3480&SiteID=168 - for details on how to create and submit the Support Log zip file with your bug.

I'm not sure why the main subscription would become invalidated, but that may be a result of the successful workaround to the original activation problem.

I still don't have the answers I'm seeking from the OneCare team, but I do know that activation of OneCare backup should *only* work for English language locations. I suspect that by activating the service at the US link, while your subscription LiveID is registered to your actual country *or* the fact that the activation response to OneCare came back with the success flag, but your local language is not English, caused your copy of OneCare to get confused.

Besides the bug, you may want to uninstall and reinstall OneCare. After reinstalling, use your LiveID to activate the beta once again and see if that straightens things out.

-steve

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 5:23 PM
  • I filed a bug yesterday, thanks for your reply.

I hope you will get the answers from the OneCare team and solve this as it is very frustrating that a token for Backup can invalidate the Onecare subscription,

Sander

Thursday, September 27, 2007 6:29 AM
  • As soon as I learn anything I'll be sure to post it here.

-steve

Friday, September 28, 2007 1:06 AM
  • Been a while since I posted on this one.

I emailed ocbeta@microsoft about the problem. I was sent a new 25 digit key code with the following text:

"Your Perptual Beta registration indicates it is time for you to renew your Perpetual Beta subscription. While the OneCare Perpetual Beta is a perpetual environment, individual testers must renew their subscription annually.  Your role in testing Windows Live OneCare is important to us. Participating in the Perpetual Beta means that you have the first chance to test out new features before they are released to the public. By including you in the development process, we can make sure that Windows Live OneCare functions properly and meets the needs of customers. We hope you will renew your subscription and continue helping make Windows Live OneCare the best it can be."

So what I have now is a new account for in Billing for Online Backup and a new 25 digit key for my beta subscription. I don't have anything in my billing account for the OneCare software???

Due to the problems, I have re-installed OneCare beta 2 and tried to re-subscribe with my new code. HERE WE GO AGAIN!!

All goes well to the following screenshot

http://cid-561f97492335c7dc.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Screenshots/oneset1.png

I believe at this point I should have two choices which includes an already issued key code. But I get the following HOME PAGE yet again with no further option.

http://cid-561f97492335c7dc.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Screenshots/oneset2.png

As anybody got any further or further ideas?

- Lance

Friday, September 28, 2007 9:15 AM
  • Lance, the key you received would be for 1.6, not 2.0 and not for the online photo backup. The key will only work if you are on the perpetual beta.

Please email ocbeta back once again and advise that you need a 2.0 beta key, not a 1.6 perpetual beta key - unless you are in the perpetual beta, which I assume you are not.

I'm sorry to read about the confusion that seems to have happened.

-steve

Saturday, September 29, 2007 1:41 AM