Potential bug? WHS freezes on backup if I enable hibernation. RRS feed

• Question

• Just mentioning one thing I noticed today. Initially on my machine, I have hibernation disabled and I ran a backup. All my incremental backups after that work just fine. But as soon as I enable hibernation, then during my WHS backups, it will freeze at 16% "Determining which clusters have changed." The whole machine locks up and the hard drive light is solid. I have to disable hibernation again to get backups to work.

Not being able to use hibernation is not too big of a deal to me, but I just thought I would report a potential bug.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 1:39 AM

All replies

• Just mentioning one thing I noticed today. Initially on my machine, I have hibernation disabled and I ran a backup. All my incremental backups after that work just fine. But as soon as I enable hibernation, then during my WHS backups, it will freeze at 16% "Determining which clusters have changed." The whole machine locks up and the hard drive light is solid. I have to disable hibernation again to get backups to work.

Not being able to use hibernation is not too big of a deal to me, but I just thought I would report a potential bug.

Do you mean it happens at any time when hibernation is enabled on your client (even if you run a manual backup at a time outside of the backup window)?  If so, you should file a bug report on Connect.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 1:56 AM
  • I noticed there was a bug report subforum, but when you start a new thread there is no option to post there. Sorry, Im a noob =( By the way, in your link, it appears that joining the Connect program is expired.

But anyways, yes it does happen at any time hibernation is enabled on the client. But more specifically, I am thinking this issue is occurring because my very first backup occured with hibernation disabled on the system. Then if you enable hibernation, when you do any incremental backups after that, I am guessing the WHS somehow freezes up due to this new hiberfile.sys which is present. Im not sure if the enabling of hibernation somehow creates some new clusters/files/whatever or changes the hard drive somehow which is causing the WHS connector to fail.

I have other clients with hibernation enabled, and there is no problem.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 2:04 AM
  • I noticed there was a bug report subforum, but when you start a new thread there is no option to post there. Sorry, Im a noob =( By the way, in your link, it appears that joining the Connect program is expired.

Nope, it's definitely open (right now MS is accepting applicants for Power Pack 3 beta and you have to register on Connect for it).  You should be able to register on Connect after logging in with a Live ID.

But anyways, yes it does happen at any time hibernation is enabled on the client. But more specifically, I am thinking this issue is occurring because my very first backup occured with hibernation disabled on the system. Then if you enable hibernation, when you do any incremental backups after that, I am guessing the WHS somehow freezes up due to this new hiberfile.sys which is present. Im not sure if the enabling of hibernation somehow creates some new clusters/files/whatever or changes the hard drive somehow which is causing the WHS connector to fail.

I have other clients with hibernation enabled, and there is no problem.

Monday, August 17, 2009 4:11 AM

Wow, I'm having the same problem (although not at 16 %, more like 54 or so).  It was working fine, but I sudden;y started having this problem about a week or two ago, I could not find a solution and went as far as to reinstall both Windows 7 and WHS.  I occurs to me that I started using "sleep" (because with Windows 7 it finally seems to work correctly on a desktop PC).  I'm now going to disable it and see if I can get through a backup again.

Are you by chance running an SSD? because I was also thinking it may be related to my OCZ SSD drive, which was working fine, but I recently applied a firmware update to it.  These are the only things I can think of that changed on my machine since I last had correctly functioning backups.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 5:19 PM
  • Update: No fix.  I still have the problem even with the machine set to not sleep or hibernate, and downgrading to my prior SSD firmware level is no help either. I'm stumped.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:01 PM