Vista ultimate OEM reinstall/activation. RRS feed

• Question

• I have the OEM version of Vista Ultimate.

Im having some issues with my hard drive partitions, and need to make a clean re-install using my OEM DVD soon.

I will have any troubles to reactive my copy after the clean install?

Is there any limits for activation for the licensed machine? (No hardware changes)

Monday, March 5, 2007 6:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• I found some answers over my searches, that the OEM ultimate can be activated only 2 times.

Anyone post if this is true? I have to install multiple times to be fully satisfied with my system configuration,

this is not the point, but what if i have 2 failures? Need to buy new licence key?

I hope this is not true.

Monday, March 5, 2007 10:16 PM
  • Please check Microsoft Product Support for general licensing questions.  Thanks
    Friday, March 9, 2007 12:34 AM
  •  Vista Validation Support - MS wrote:
    Please check Microsoft Product Support for general licensing questions.  Thanks

This has to be the most unhelpful post I've seen yet! Why not just point him to www.microsoft.com home page and say, "see if you can find what your looking for"

I have the same question/issue, and Microsoft seems to make finding the answer as hard as they can. If you know where the info is, why not give a specific link?
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 3:15 AM
  • This is untrue..  You can install multiple times no problem  as long as the hardware is the same..   Once you change the hardware then it goes to the two times,  but those two times are just automatic ones.  What I mean is it goes on the internet and activates itself no problem.   This is a 30 day thing as well  so if your re-installing within that 30 day period it hasnt activated yet.   

I have actually changed out the hardware on this machine many times now   from new memory to new video card to new motherboard.  When I change the hardware now it tries to activate on its own and fails.   I call into the number the failure gives me and I get an automated verification service.  The first time it did this it sent me to a real person who verified the other hardware is not running my vista copy anymore.  After that one time   it has sent me to the computer automated version on the phone.  Annoying cause that number is like  4 numbers in 8 spaces.  But does save the possibility of needing to buy new version everytime I upgrade.  

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 2:09 AM
  • Hey JBBxWolf,
    That is the most helpful thing I've heard on the entire internet in my 2 hour search! I knew all about how you could install XP a million times (all of my previous hardware changes) and still have it be genuine. I didn't know if the Vista Ultimate OEM was like this (I just ordered it and want to be sure).

Thanks again,
    -Matt
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 2:02 PM
  • This is indeed a worthless post. It is also obnoxious.

My problem is with Windows Business OEM, which I bought to get past XP SP3 problems. In particular, SP3 hosed the system into a forever reboot mode and even safe mode would not work. Putting the original XP disk in would not install over SP3 for whatever reason. Microsoft windos development = a**holes. Since I had a custom box, I had an OEM license, which is fine since I am an IT pro (.NET SW) and am comfortable doing self-support.

The advantage to Vista is that at least the newer chipset drivers are in the OS and do not require F6 (e.g. SATA NCQ) as XP does. In fact, the HW alone I hoped would minimize the pain I've had using Vista on a notebook - I was not a big fan of Vista from that experience of the past year (a lot of dumb UI stuff).

So I bought the closest equivalent, Vista Business OEM, just to get the system bootable. It worked, but Vista Bus OEM will not activate and there is no phone number listed to call for phone activation. Of course this would not be a problem were it not for SP3 being released with serious problems, but I digress.

I also had some new HW to install (storage). That and upgrading the AV protection, DVD burning Sw and such - just install it all once and be done with it. The OS + app SW upgrade all at once made sense until Vista wouldn't activate.

So how can I get Vista to activate? We are looking at Linux + Mono at work as an alternative, and the more of these problems I run into, the more it makes sense at home. Microsoft really isn't doing a thing to keep me as a long-term customer (since Windows 286) - this is the first time change looks serious.

Wes

Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:56 PM
  • well when it fails to activate it pops up and asks you what you want to do about it..   Buy a new version or contact microsoft.   choose the contact microsoft by phone and follow the onscreen instructions with the automated voice..  

wont cost you a dime  and it gets activated for you..  

Monday, June 16, 2008 3:50 PM