WHS and Hard Drive Removal RRS feed

• Question

• Greetingss All,

I'm hoping to find out if what I'm about to explain has been noticed by anyone else.

I've ordered my permanent, RTM copy of Windows Home Server from a local supplier that I frequent.  Yesterday, I decided to shut down the test box that has been running RC1 of WHS for the last few months.  As part of doing that, I followed the hard drive removal procedure to withdraw an external 320 GB drive out of the storage pool.  All seemed well.

I transferred the parts out of the test box and reinstalled them in a newer, quieter case that is easier to work with.  The 320 GB drive noted above was installed on the primary IDE master connection.  I also put in a 160 GB SATA drive in the new box to serve as the main system drive for WHS. 

Here's the funky thing...in the BIOS, the 320 GB drive is recognized, but only as having 94 GB of space!

Has anyone else noticed issues with hard drives after they are removed from WHS and reassigned for use elsewhere?  Does WHS "do something" to the drives to render them unuseable if removed?

It's a Seagate drive, so I'm going to try using the Seagate drive wizard tonight to see if I can recover it.  Just thought I'd see if I'm alone in noticing this behavior.

Cheers

Monday, October 1, 2007 10:48 PM

All replies

•  

I seen this with a usb drive I removed... it seems that there are hidden files and folders on the drive... places where your backups are stored for folder duplication (in my case that is what they were).  No, the files were not made unuseable... I could open the files once I turned on windows to see hidden files.
    Tuesday, October 2, 2007 12:57 AM
  •  theog wrote:

I seen this with a usb drive I removed... it seems that there are hidden files and folders on the drive... places where your backups are stored for folder duplication (in my case that is what they were).  No, the files were not made unuseable... I could open the files once I turned on windows to see hidden files.

Thanks for responding, but my trouble was actually much deeper.  The 320 GB drive was not recognized by the motherboard at the BIOS level, let alone in Windows.

Further troubleshooting has revealed that the Primary IDE controller on the motherboard is basically shot.  Maybe I was sloppy in transferring the parts or maybe this was something waiting to happen, not sure which.  I'm glad the issue revealed itself this way rather than after the full WHS rebuild.

Cheers

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 6:30 AM
  •  Sentinel3304 wrote:

Thanks for responding, but my trouble was actually much deeper.  The 320 GB drive was not recognized by the motherboard at the BIOS level, let alone in Windows.

Further troubleshooting has revealed that the Primary IDE controller on the motherboard is basically shot.  Maybe I was sloppy in transferring the parts or maybe this was something waiting to happen, not sure which.  I'm glad the issue revealed itself this way rather than after the full WHS rebuild.

Cheers

That is odd... not what you first posted... guess it showed 94, then went on to kill the entire drive?  Odd way to die.  

At any rate, glad you found out your issue.

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 6:39 AM