windows could not load installer for hdc RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry for posting this question here but I am not sure there is anybody that can solve my problem.  I am unable to update from Microsoft and have even tried to load Service Pack 2 from disk to no avail.  I have spent hours trying to resolve this problem and have spoken to Gateway and Microsoft.  Please, someone help me or at least point me somewhere I haven't been already.

Much abliged, 

Eric

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 10:05 PM

Answers

•  EGMD wrote:

Sorry for posting this question here but I am not sure there is anybody that can solve my problem.  I am unable to update from Microsoft and have even tried to load Service Pack 2 from disk to no avail.  I have spent hours trying to resolve this problem and have spoken to Gateway and Microsoft.  Please, someone help me or at least point me somewhere I haven't been already.

Much abliged, 

Eric

Cannot install Service Pack 2:
    http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Cannot_install_Service_Pack_2

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 10:12 PM

All replies

•  EGMD wrote:

Sorry for posting this question here but I am not sure there is anybody that can solve my problem.  I am unable to update from Microsoft and have even tried to load Service Pack 2 from disk to no avail.  I have spent hours trying to resolve this problem and have spoken to Gateway and Microsoft.  Please, someone help me or at least point me somewhere I haven't been already.

Much abliged, 

Eric

Cannot install Service Pack 2:
    http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Cannot_install_Service_Pack_2

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 10:12 PM
  • I looked up setupapi.log and found this problem...

#-147 Loading class installer module for "Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers".
    #E144 Loading module "C:\WINNT\System32\SysSetup.Dll" failed. Error 126: The specified module could not be found.
    Windows could not load the installer for hdc. Contact your hardware vendor for assistance. Error 126: The specified module could not be found.
    [2006/08/15 16:15:32 1012.628 Driver Install]

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 10:35 PM
  •  EGMD wrote:

I looked up setupapi.log and found this problem...

#-147 Loading class installer module for "Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers".
    #E144 Loading module "C:\WINNT\System32\SysSetup.Dll" failed. Error 126: The specified module could not be found.
    Windows could not load the installer for hdc. Contact your hardware vendor for assistance. Error 126: The specified module could not be found.
    [2006/08/15 16:15:32 1012.628 Driver Install]

To resolve this problem, rename the %WinDir%\System32\Catroot2 folder. For more information about how to rename folders by using the Windows XP user interface, click Start, click Help and Support, type renaming folders, press ENTER, and then click Change the name of a file or folder.

To rename the %WinDir%\System32\Catroot2 folder at a command prompt, follow these steps:

1. While the Setup program is running, and while the error message still appears on the screen, press SHIFT+F10 to start a command prompt.
    2. At the command prompt, type cd\windows\system32\, and then press ENTER.
    3. Type rename catroot2 catold, press ENTER, and then restart the computer.
    4. Try again to install SP2.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 11:01 PM
  • Renamed the file but could not do so with the instructions above...namely, shift+F10 did not start a command prompt.  Still got the same error message and SP2 did not install.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 2:25 AM
  • how can I rename catroot2 to catold - tried accessing through explorer but could not rename
    Monday, February 19, 2007 10:39 PM