Blocked VLK RRS feed

• Question

•  

This is probably a shot in the dark, but I guess I just need a definate answer. I purchased my current PC off of Ebay nearly a year and a half ago. According to the description of the PC, it came with Windows XP. I recieved the computer everything was fine etc...About six months later I finally hooked it up to the internet. Not but a day or so later a got hit with the "This copy of windows is not genuine" message. After checking the microsoft website I found that my version of windows was using a blocked VLK. Naturally, I'm upset. I can't track down the person who sold me the computer, and it obviously didnt even come with a Windows CD. So, do I have to purchase a valid copy of windows or is there another way around this problem?
    Wednesday, October 10, 2007 10:20 PM

Answers

• Hello A5he,

First please notify EBay and let them know about what has transpired. Maybe they can help with identify the person who sold you the system and inquire about what proceedures happens in this situation. There are a couple options you may take. First please contact the technicial support section of the computer's manufacturer. Explain your situation and request the recovery media software for your make and model of computer. THere may be a minimal charge associated but they will explain this process.  Next you may purchase a WGA Kit which was offered to you when  the system was identified as having a blocked VLK installed. The cost of the kit is about 1/2 the cost of purchasing a retail package. The WGA Kit is retail. There really isn't any other advice I may give @ this time. Please work first with Ebay then work with the manufacturer of your computer. I am very sorry to hear about your situation.

Take care,

STephen Holm, MS 

Wednesday, October 10, 2007 11:04 PM