Live one care canceled my cover after a few months???? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.
    I live in UK.

Windows live one care canceled my cover.
    I subscribed a couple of months ago, but got a message yesterday to say to say my cover is finished.
    Bearing in mind, my subscription does noy run out until 2010.
    What on earth is going on???????.
    Without warning, my cover was cancelled, leaving my computer at risk.
    Is this acceptable.
    I dont think so.

Come on you guys, this is not good enough.

wufer.
    (UK)
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 9:32 AM

Answers

• Where did you get this message? From OneCare or via email?

If your subscription to OneCare shows incorrect or expired in OneCare

• Check your PC date and time.
    • Check your subscription status by logging in with your subscription LiveID at http://billing.microsoft.com
    • Confirm that this is the same LiveID shown to be the Subscription ID in OneCare - Help/About…
    • Open OneCare and click "Check for Updates" to have OneCare check for updated credentials

If your subscription is correctly shown at the Billing site, but incorrect in OneCare and your PC date and time are correct, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:45 PM

All replies

• Where did you get this message? From OneCare or via email?

If your subscription to OneCare shows incorrect or expired in OneCare

• Check your PC date and time.
    • Check your subscription status by logging in with your subscription LiveID at http://billing.microsoft.com
    • Confirm that this is the same LiveID shown to be the Subscription ID in OneCare - Help/About…
    • Open OneCare and click "Check for Updates" to have OneCare check for updated credentials

If your subscription is correctly shown at the Billing site, but incorrect in OneCare and your PC date and time are correct, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:45 PM
  • Well i went to Help.
    Downloaded One Care Firewall Cleanup Tool.
    And it turned my firewall off!!!!!.
    And i cant turn it on now.....

Not to worry, i downloaded Mcafee and their firewall is on.
    So now all i have to do is cancel my One Care, and i will be back to normal

Well done Mcafee !!!!!.

Wufer
    (UK)
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:05 PM
  • Why would you download the firewall cleanup tool to resolve an issue with an incorrect subscription status? And you never answered my question about where you received the cancellation message.

-steve

Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:20 PM
  •  Yes, sorry Steve.
    I first got an email, and then later, when i clicked on the One Care icon, it said i had to renew One Care, and that my computer was at risk.

Regarding the firewall clean up tool: i just wanted to try it,, as you do.
    Anyway, its turned off my firewall, so rather than be at risk, as i had no idea how to turn it back on again, i downloader Mcafee just to be covered.

As you can tell, im not very good at this kind of thing.

Wufer 
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:48 PM
  • Interesting that you received the email if you believe that your subscription was not due for renewal yet.

I think you meant the OneCare Cleanup Tool, not the Firewall Tool, which repairs the OneCare firewall. Running the OneCare cleanup tool is a brute force uninstall of OneCare. It *should* re-enable the Windows firewall when OneCare is removed, but I suspect that your Windows Security Center was reporting no protection, including the firewall. That may mean that the brute force removal with the cleanup tool didn't properly restart the Windows Firewall.

As long as you have McAfee antivirus and firewall, you're covered. If you want to pursue what's the matter with your OneCare subscription, my original post contains the instructions for checking the Billing account online and how to contact OneCare support.

-steve

Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:02 PM
  • Yes i thought the email might be phishing, but later, i got a pop up from the One Care icon at the bottom right of my screen that said i was at risk, and that is when i opened One Care and it confirmed, or rather stated my cover had ended.

Anyway ill go and see what your recomendations bring.

Thank you

wufer
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:30 PM
  • I see from your latest post in the new thread that you called to cancel your subscription. I'm still not sure why you go the email and why OneCare updated to reflect that the subscription was indeed cancelled. When you called and went through the support maze, did they confirm that your subscription was cancelled or did you simply go through getting it cancelled?
    Note that I had to edit you other post to remove the support number which cannot be posted to the forums. As much as I'd like to post the numbers in a FAQ, I can't. :-(
    -steve
    Friday, March 20, 2009 2:29 PM
  • Steve.
    I found out why my contract was cancelled,

I payed for my subscription with my card, about two months ago. About one month ago, someone tried to use my card fraudulantly, and i had to cancel my card.

One Care say that as i cancelled my card,thay , without warning cancelled my contract!!.
    What i can't understand is, if thay already hade my years payment, why did thay cancel my contract?.  Funny.

Over the phone, i was told that after thay knew my datails about my new  card, thay would reconnect me without further payment.

Haveing done all that, i clicked "Renew" and i am now back on contract.

I still have no OneCare firewall, but Mcafee has theres on, so im covered.

Regarding the phone number i posted.

It's a great pity you had to delete it.
    It would help so, so many people in the same predicament i found myslf in. That is, going round in circles, "talking" to machines, and getting nowhere.

But i suppose rules are rules.

All sorted out now so thank you.

wufer
    (UK)  
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 7:18 PM
  •  I'm glad to read that it is mostly sorted and I agree that the cancellation is rather odd. Basically, you would simply not be able to renew. If payment was already processed, the subscription should not have been cancelled.
    You do need to remove McAfee now. You cannot have multiple security products running as they will conflict and cause problems - likely the reason that the OneCare firewall is currently not working.
    Yes, the phone number bit is unfortunate. In the US, the phone number can now be found when you go to Help and search for some topics, such as cancellation, but I don't know if it is the same for all regions.
    -steve
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 10:24 PM
  • Steve, just an update.

I went back and phoned "that" number to see about my firewall.
    The guy was very good, and talked me thou everything, and now im back in buisness.
    Everything is Green, and i now have my firewall back on.

Derek.
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 12:26 PM
  • wufer said:

Steve, just an update.

I went back and phoned "that" number to see about my firewall.
    The guy was very good, and talked me thou everything, and now im back in buisness.
    Everything is Green, and i now have my firewall back on.

Derek.

Excellent and thanks for the update. Sorry that you had so much trouble with it all, though.
    -steve
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 5:25 PM