none
Problems after Server Reinstallation from Trial to OEM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I have been through the process of running a Server Reinstall from Trial to OEM and everything looked to go smoothly. I have gone through and recreated the users but I am having authentication issues when trying to connect to the shares from other machines.

Also I have found that the server console is showing my computers on the network as greyed out so it looks like the connector software hasn't reinitialiazed. Is there a requirement to reinstall the connector software? From what I have read this is not the case.

Any ideas?   
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 12:16 AM

Answers

• You shouldn't need to reinstall the connector software. If you've gone through the OOBE process with the full OEM software, and the server has been updated to the same Power Pack as the clients, then you can just run discovery.exe on the clients (it's in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server by default) and you should be able to reconnect to the server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by BuSt_OuT Friday, June 5, 2009 4:02 AM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:37 AM

All replies

• You shouldn't need to reinstall the connector software. If you've gone through the OOBE process with the full OEM software, and the server has been updated to the same Power Pack as the clients, then you can just run discovery.exe on the clients (it's in C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server by default) and you should be able to reconnect to the server.
    • Marked as answer by BuSt_OuT Friday, June 5, 2009 4:02 AM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 1:37 AM

Do the clients update automatically to the new power pack? Is it a windows update that comes through on the clients or when the updates comes through on the WHS box it also updates the clients?
    • Edited by BuSt_OuT Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:53 AM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 3:52 AM
  • The clients will atuomatically update if you configured the connector to do so when you installed it, not otherwise. The connector has to be installed from the server; it's not a Windows Update package for the clients, but is part of the Windows Update package for the server when an update is required.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 8:29 PM
  • The clients will atuomatically update if you configured the connector to do so when you installed it, not otherwise. The connector has to be installed from the server; it's not a Windows Update package for the clients, but is part of the Windows Update package for the server when an update is required.

Ken,

As of Power Pack 2, you no longer have the option to configure whether the Connector software gets upgraded automatically or not.  It's now automatically automatic. :)
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 12:35 AM
  • I'm pretty sure that's not true (I think you get asked when installing on a computer that doesn't currently have the connector installed), but I'm on the road and can't test. In any case, it should work the way you say whether it does or not. :)
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 1:27 AM
  • I'm pretty sure that's not true (I think you get asked when installing on a computer that doesn't currently have the connector installed), but I'm on the road and can't test. In any case, it should work the way you say whether it does or not. :)

Yes, Ken, it is true.  After all, the Connector software never truly "upgrades" at all (it always uninstalls the old version, then installs the new version).  Plus, I just completely uninstalled it on one of my computers, deleted the leftover folder in Program Files, and rebooted the computer.  After it rebooted, I installed the Connector software.  I did not get asked if I wanted future Connector software upgrades to be installed automatically.  (Not to mention that, whenever asked if I wanted it to upgrade automatically, I always said no.  The update that came out a couple weeks ago was the first one that installed automatically for me, even though I never told it to do so.)
    Friday, June 5, 2009 3:54 AM

• All is good. Once running discovery.exe on the client machines it detected the WHS box and than prompted to update the Client Connector Software.

Thanks for all your help :)

Friday, June 5, 2009 4:02 AM