none
Why I'm unable open the questions/answer "How to convert Codes of GWBasic onto VB 2005?" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm unable to open to see the replies to my question. I wrote the sample codes of GWBasic and now there are 6-7 replies according to the number of replies, but I'm unable open it. All other questions can be opened but when I click theat question, a page with the message "Sorry, we are unable to do the service you requested, and try later."

Can you tell me what should I do?

Thanks
    VKSBK.
    A Real Novice Programmer !
    • Moved by Martin Xie - MSFT Wednesday, October 14, 2009 7:10 AM Move it to Feedback Forum for better responses. (From:Visual Basic General)
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 9:06 AM

Answers

• Sounds like someone could have thought the thread was being used for commercial or personal profits and gains to me.

I just checked the dead thread forums, not there.  It's still VB Language, and still inaccessible.
    You can see messages like that for a short period of time while a Moderator moves, splits or otherwise modifies a thread.
    It doesn't usually take more than a few minutes, not hours on end.

Rudedog   =8^D
    Mark the best replies as answers. "Fooling computers since 1971."
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:54 PM

All replies

• Are you sure there is no abuse or something like that, I know that some things are removed lately?

As you next time give the link or at least the correct text it will be easier

Success
    Cor
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 10:31 AM
  • Dear Cor Lighert,

No, I didn't write anything abusive. I copied the GWBasic Codes then below that I wrote something about my question / something like that and pressed submit button. There was a few seconds delay then a message appeared saying there is an Error (Now I don't remember the exact words). I tried again and again thinking that this problem would disappear.
    Then I thought whether it is due to the Codes I copied to the page, so I added " ' " in front of every lines of the codes (as we do this for VB codes to make them a comment. Then once it didn't show the error message but when the normal page appeared the new question was not there. So, I tried sending again after rewriting it again. The same error message appeared.
    Laater when I checked the forum I saw there were 9 replies, so I tried to open to read the answer I couldn't do that.

There was one answer to my earlier question (nearly 2 month ago I wrote) and as I couldn't send this codes, I wrote to the person who answered, asking him whether I can send the codes foor him to convert them to VB 2005. This I did mainly to check whether there was any real problems for posting anything and I found thaat posting got accepted without any problem.  I wonder whether the rest iof the replies (6) were my reposted questions.

Is it due to the GWBasic Codes I pasted to the page?  I am not sure hether those codes are mistaken for any Virus?

Please help me.

I didn't use the Button HTML ( Insert Code Block). Is this the cause for all trouble?

I am going to send that Codes after sending this, using this HTML.

Thanks
    VKSBK.

Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:32 PM
  • might try posting this question here and see what they say:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/reportabug/threads/
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:36 PM
  • Then simply send your problem again, cannot that difficult

And use that HTML button than and in that simply the VB button

Success
    Cor
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:41 PM
  • Dear Cor Lighert,

I have pasted the reply which I tried to post in the thread "How to convert Codes written for GWBasic into VB 2005?".

That post was addressed to Tom Shelton who answered my question and asked for posting them for him to know what I was trying at.

Dear Tom Shelton,

Sorry, I didn't reply you for nearly 2 months as I was concentrating on some other problems.

Given below is the GWBasic Codes for converting Longitude & Latitude from Decimal to Degree, Minute, Seconds."

The codes are inserted using HTML.

1       Rem
    2 Rem Handling programme HMINSEC
    3 Rem
    4 DefDbl A-Z
    5 Dim SW(20)
    10 Print: Print
    15 Print "Decimal and minutes-seconds forms"
    20 Print "---------------------------------"
    25 Q$ = "Convert to mins & secs (Y or N) "
    30 Print: GoSub 960
    35 If E = 1 Then GoTo 80
    40 Q$ = "..... from mins & secs (Y or N) "
    45 GoSub 960
    50 If E = 0 Then GoTo 105
    55 Q$ = "Degrees/hours, min, sec ....... "
    60 PRINT : PRINT Q$; : INPUT XD,XM,XS
    65 SW(1) = -1: NC = 9: GoSub 1000
    70 Q$ = "..... converts to ............. "
    75 Print Q$ + OP$: GoTo 105
    80 Q$ = "Decimal degrees/hours ......... "
    85 PRINT : PRINT Q$; : INPUT X
    90 SW(1) = 1: GoSub 1000
    95 Q$ = "..... converts to ............. "
    100 Print Q$ + OP$
    105 Q$ = "Again (Y or N) ................ "
    110 Print: GoSub 960
    115 If E = 1 Then GoTo 25
    120 Stop
    125 Rem $INCLUDE: 'YESNO'
    126 Rem $INCLUDE: 'MINSEC'

997 Rem
    998 Rem Subroutine MINSEC
    999 Rem
    1000 DEF FNT$(A) = Mid$(Str$(A), 2)
    1001 If SW(1) = -1 Then GoTo 1050
    1005 SN = Sgn(X): XP = Abs(X) + 0.00000139: XD = Int(XP)
    1010 A = (XP - XD) * 60: XM = Int(A): S$ = "+"
    1015 XS = Int((A - XM) * 6000#) / 100#
    1020 If SN = -1 Then S$ = "-"
    1025 A$ = Right$((" " + FNT$(XD)), 3)
    1030 B$ = Right$((" " + FNT$(XM)), 3)
    1035 D$ = Right$(("0" + FNT$(Int((XS - Int(XS)) * 100))), 2)
    1040 C$ = Right$((" " + FNT$(Int(XS)) + "." + D$), 6)
    1045 OP$ = " " + S$ + A$ + B$ + C$: Return
    1050 SN = 1: S$ = "+"
    1055 If XD < 0 Or XM < 0 Or XS < 0 Then SN = -1: S$ = "-"
    1060 X = ((((Abs(XS) / 60) + Abs(XM)) / 60) + Abs(XD)) * SN
    1065 A$ = FNT$(X): If NC = 0 Then NC = 9
    1066 If (InStr(A$, "E") > 0) Or (InStr(A$, "D") > 0) Then NC = 25
    1070 OP$ = Left$(FNT$(X), NC)
    1075 If SN = 1 Then OP$ = S$ + OP$
    1080 OP$ = " " + OP$: Return
    I am learning VB using VB 2005 / 2008, so I may not understand if you say any advanced stuff in Programming. Therefore please let me know if you mention any advanced techniques etc.

What is this REM mentioned in the first 1 -3 lines of this code page?

Hope you would help me !

This is just a short list of "codes" found in an Book of Astronomy. There are many for calculating Planetary positions etc I am interested in. I want to convert them to use in VB 2005 / 2008.

Thanks
    Kind regards

VKSBK

Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:42 PM
  • Sounds like someone could have thought the thread was being used for commercial or personal profits and gains to me.

I just checked the dead thread forums, not there.  It's still VB Language, and still inaccessible.
    You can see messages like that for a short period of time while a Moderator moves, splits or otherwise modifies a thread.
    It doesn't usually take more than a few minutes, not hours on end.

Rudedog   =8^D
    Mark the best replies as answers. "Fooling computers since 1971."
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:54 PM
  • If it's the calculation and formatting that is the problem, you can use what I use:
        Private Function ValToStr(ByRef v As Double, m_LatLon as Integer) As String
            ' +/-DDD.dddd to DDD°mm.mm' N/S/E/W
            ValToStr = LTrim(Str(System.Math.Abs(Fix(v)))) & "°" & _
                       (System.Math.Abs(v - Fix(v)) * 60).ToString("00") & "' " & _
                       IIf(m_LatLon = 0, " ", (IIf(v >= 0, IIf(m_LatLon = 1, "N", "E"), IIf(m_LatLon = 1, "S", "W"))))
        End Function

Private Function StrToVal(ByRef s As String) As Double ' DDD°mm.mm' N/S/E/W to +/-DDD.dddd Dim T As String = Val(s) + Val(s.Substring(InStr(s, "°"))) / 60 If (s.EndsWith("S") Or s.EndsWith("W")) Then T *= -1 Return T End Function

The first function would take a number like  -30.50 and return 30°30.00' S if m_LatLon is 1 or 30°30.00' W if m_LatLon is 2 or 30°30.00' if m_LatLon is 0.

The second function would take a string like 30°30.00'S and return -30.5, or 127°20.00 E and return 127.3333. 

Friday, October 9, 2009 5:08 AM