Beta to PP1 RRS feed

• Question

• I might have missed something, or did something wrong.

1) I Bought MHS
    2) I joined the Beta that required (So I thought) to install an evaluation version.
    3) I did a few updates as the Beta matured.

now how do I get back to my licensed version? 

Is it safe to just re-install the old MHS from the DVD, then do the Power Pack update? When I state 'Safe' I mean no lost of data (I would be ok with PC backups, but not the File Shares)

thanks.

Monday, August 25, 2008 11:44 PM

Answers

• You will need to do a server reinstallation which (I presume) is what you did when you installed the eval software over RTM. It will work the same way.
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:51 AM

All replies

• To remove the beta of Power Pack 1:
    • Log in to your server using Remote Desktop or a connected keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Be cautious; there are tools available that can severely damage server functionality or cause data loss.
    • Start → Control Panel → Add or Remove Programs.
    • Ensure that there's a check mark next to Show Updates.
    • Scroll down until you find the item named PRERELEASE Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 (KB944289). Uninstall it.
    • Reboot your server.
    Windows Update should automatically install the released version of PP1 in fairly short order. Alternatively you can use the Console to check for and install the update:
    • Start the console.
    • Click Settings.
    • Click Update Now...
    If you're saying that you installed an evaluation version of WHS over your RTM version, then yes, you will need to reinstall your RTM version.
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:03 AM
  • I did install an evaluation over RTM (for some reason I thought I needed to?). So can the reinstallation be done in a non-destructive manor?
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:31 AM
  • You will need to do a server reinstallation which (I presume) is what you did when you installed the eval software over RTM. It will work the same way.
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:51 AM