cannot connect to WHS 2011 from work laptop RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a work laptop running Windows7 Enterprise. This is on the work assigned domain and the launchpad cannot find my WHS 2011 server on the home network.  It says that the server appears to be offline.  I can ping the server and can successfully log into WHS 2011 using mstsc.

Obviously, I cannot change the settings on the work laptop too much as I need to be able to connect to the work servers.

Can anyone help fix this problem?

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:11 AM

All replies

• I only know enough about networking to get myself in trouble. But I believe that your home network should be using different settings than your work one if that makes sense. If your web browsers are setup to use a proxy I'd just try a different browser that is not setup that way. 

Try connecting to your WHS through remote desktop. If you can you know that the network connection between the computers is good. If it is good, my thought would be that your firewall is blocking something. If you're sure of the safety of your network you could disable your firewall on the laptop for a minute and try to connect and confirm or rule out that as the issue. 

I hope my rambling makes sense and that it helps.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:22 PM