Problems with upgrading from a windows7 home basic to windows7 ultimate RRS feed

• Question

• I have got a windows 7 home basic 32bit operating system on my pc, i recently got a windows 7 ultimate 64bit operating system from a friend and i tried installing it without removing all the data on my pc but it refused and requested an anytime upgrade key, and i'm having problems with getting it, can you help me with it?
    Friday, August 19, 2011 11:47 AM

Answers

• "TA-MIERIE" wrote in message news:e6657958-1463-4a1e-9291-f192d7af8f48...

If i can look for a 32bit version will it work without deleting all my data?

Note that to upgrade the OS from Home Basic to Ultimate requires that you purchase a genuine Key for the upgrade – simply having the disk is not enough.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, August 19, 2011 12:02 PM
  • You would need to purchase a Windows Anytime Upgrade and just enter the new product key.  All your programs, settings and data would remain intact.
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, August 19, 2011 12:54 PM

All replies

• If you have a "Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit operating system" it is likely an OEM version which can only be installed as a "clean install".  You would have to boot from the DVD and during setup, delete the current hard drive partition, create a new parrtition, then install.
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, August 19, 2011 11:56 AM
  • If i can look for a 32bit version will it work without deleting all my data?

Friday, August 19, 2011 12:00 PM
  • "TA-MIERIE" wrote in message news:e6657958-1463-4a1e-9291-f192d7af8f48...

If i can look for a 32bit version will it work without deleting all my data?

Note that to upgrade the OS from Home Basic to Ultimate requires that you purchase a genuine Key for the upgrade – simply having the disk is not enough.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, August 19, 2011 12:02 PM
  • You would need to purchase a Windows Anytime Upgrade and just enter the new product key.  All your programs, settings and data would remain intact.
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, August 19, 2011 12:54 PM
  • Anytime Upgrade from Home Basic to other editions may not be available in your region.  It is not available in most.  You may need to purchase a standard Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade edition in order to upgrade.  What region are you in?

In any case, you cannot upgrade by simply finding a key.  You must purchase the software and then use the key during the upgrade process.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Friday, August 19, 2011 2:43 PM
    Answerer